Time to consult the experts? It’s a little different here. The purpose of the Connects Unconference is to bring CIS Ontario educators together, of varying levels of experience and expertise. It's a powerful way for faculty to accelerate their research and learn from each other. Table facilitators have a critical role, as they work to generate dialogue around four topics of group interest, pre-selected and voted upon by all participants. You could be discussing the integration of design thinking, experiential technologies or digital portfolios. The ultimate goal is to capture new opportunities for student experience.
UNLEASHING THE POTENTIAL:
Exploring the Impact of AI on K-12 Teaching and Learning and School Operations
Connects Unconference is back after a 3-year hiatus! Join us on Monday, January 29, 2024 from 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. at BMO IFL. The focus will be on AI and related topics.
Please visit this Expression of Interest link to submit a short form to inform us of your interest in attending which will allow us to plan a fantastic day of professional learning and connection.
The one-day Connects Unconference is open to participants from CIS Ontario and CAIS member schools. More details, including accommodation options and pricing, will be shared with registration at the beginning of December.
Connects Unconference Strands
Review the four strands below to review the areas for learning using an unconference approach. Participants will have an opportunity to participate in two of the four strands.
STRAND 1: AI in the Classroom: Enhancing Instructional Practices
Guiding Question: How might we leverage AI in order to enhance instructional practices?
- Explore the use of AI tools and technologies to support personalized learning experiences and differentiation
- Discuss strategies for integrating AI into curriculum design and lesson planning
- Showcase successful case studies and best practices for implementing AI in the classroom
STRAND 2: AI for Student Assessment and Feedback
Guiding Question: How might AI be implemented into the cycle of assessment and feedback meaningfully?
- Examine the role of AI in formative and summative assessment
- Discuss AI-powered feedback mechanisms and their impact on student learning
- Share innovative approaches to leveraging AI for data-driven decision-making in assessment
STRAND 3: Teacher Positionality and Professional Learning in the Age of AI
Guiding questions: What elements of the educator need to be unlearned, repositioned, supported, and amplified in the age of AI? How might this alter school practices and programs?
- Explore AI-powered tools and resources for professional learning
- Discuss strategies for upskilling teachers to effectively integrate AI into their pedagogy
- Share insights on the future of teacher training and professional learning in an AI-driven world
STRAND 4: AI as a Personal Assistant: Educational Administration and School Operations
Guiding question: In what ways might we leverage AI in order to support school administration and operational excellence?
- Explore how to leverage AI to support school communications
- Discuss how to use AI responsibly for report card writing and editing
- Review tools and strategies to support school planning and events
Deepen the Learning as a Team
Consider attending in pairs or teams from your school to explore and research the four Unconference streams.
Unconference learning is driven by participants and their collaboration with each other. Sending school teams will inspire participants to deepen and further the learning post the unconference to support innovation and growth within your school. Participation will also support your school in understanding how other CIS Ontario and CAIS schools are designing and implementing future-thinking pedagogy.
To receive timely information on our professional learning events, student programs and news relevant to our community of educators, educational staff and administrators, please ensure you are listed as a member in our database. All employees of our member schools are automatically entitled to CIS Ontario membership.
If you do not, please fill out this brief membership form.