Athletic Development and Physical Wellness Coach
Permanent, Full-time, September to June
An exciting opportunity exists at The Country Day School (CDS) for an Athletic Development and Physical Wellness Coach. The successful candidate will be responsible for monitoring safe and appropriate use of the CDS Fitness Centre by all patrons and will provide strength and conditioning expertise to all regardless of athletic ability. The Physical Wellness Coach will provide fitness assessments/consultations and conduct orientations of the facilities, equipment and programs for students, staff and faculty. This person will also assist in organizing special events, athletic demonstrations and clinics.
The Physical Wellness Coach will develop and maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing current literature and publications, establishing personal/professional networks, and participating in professional activities.
Key Responsibilities include:
1. Physical Education Program
- Supporting the Physical and Health Education department during the grade 10 & 11 personal fitness classes and covering classes when the teacher is absent.
- Developing promotional campaigns to encourage students to live a healthy and active lifestyle, as well as promote CDS’s guiding principle of “Fitness for Life”.
- Organizing and delivering safety orientations in the Fitness Centre as well as enforcing rules and etiquette of the facility.
- Monitoring, developing and enhancing the fitness and well-being of students from beginner to elite.
- Implementing and evaluating strength and conditioning programs, while building on the fundamental principles of training.
- Maintaining a record keeping system and following up regularly with students after initial consultation to monitor their programs and progression.
- Liaise with student’s physio, athletic, or massage therapist to create the best return-to-play program.
3. Coaches, Faculty and Staff
- Providing ongoing guidance and training tools to help coaches better prepare their athletes, as well as designing programs that meet team fitness needs during regular season and offseason.
- Upon request, designing and implementing various fitness classes for the Physical and Health Education Department, faculty or staff.
4. Fitness Room Management
- Keeping the fitness room and equipment organized, performing basic equipment maintenance and repairs to ensure equipment safety (including three yearly maintenance checks), as well as keeping regular records of inspected equipment and facility.
- In consultation with the Head of Health and Physical Education and the Athletic Director, make recommendations and arrange for purchases of fitness equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Sport Sciences/Kinesiology.
- Relevant strength, conditioning and CPR certifications.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in planning, implementing and monitoring strength and conditioning programs, specifically with young people of all athletic abilities.
- Strong knowledge of fitness principles and practices, concussion protocols, first aid kit requirements, use of fitness equipment, and strength and conditioning best practices.
- Highly effective listening skills and communication skills with students and individuals at all levels of the school.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship building and customer service skills.
- Strong organization, prioritization and time management skills.
- Individual who is resourceful, flexible, shows initiative, and is able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Energetic and enthusiastic individual with a positive ‘can do’ attitude.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
The Head of School invites qualified individuals to apply by Friday, October 22, 2021 with resume and cover letter to:
Mr. John Liggett, Head of School
The Country Day School
13415 Dufferin Street
King, ON L7B 1K5
The Country Day School offers a positive working environment with a competitive salary, including the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan where applicable. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment where everyone feels valued, respected and supported, and welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of this community. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations, please let us know.
All employees of The Country Day School must be able to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening Report and be fully vaccinated to be on-site. Only those persons selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
Situated on a beautiful 100-acre campus in the heart of King Township, The Country Day School offers a challenging university-preparatory program for students in JK-12. For more information about this leading Canadian independent school, please visit www.cds.on.ca.
- Day School
- King City