Internationally acclaimed for its unique environment and expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) has built a reputation over its long history as an undisputed leader in education. Offering a challenging, lively and creative atmosphere, a roster of uniquely qualified faculty and staff, and an inspiring campus featuring a spectacular science and arts wing, BSS inspires each student to find her passion, pursue her dreams and reach her potential through a rigorous academic program.
Helping students become smart, independent, compassionate young women, BSS provides the tools, technology and innovation required to thrive in post-secondary pursuits and beyond. Our unique whole girl approach, commitment to excellence and embodiment of strong values create a profound and powerful learning environment within a supportive, engaged community.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidate to fill the position of:
Receptionist and Administrative Assistant
Reports to: Vice Principal, Student Success
Summary of Position:
The Receptionist and Administrative Assistant has four main responsibilities. As the first point of contact for the BSS community, the Receptionist and Administrative Assistant will use exceptional customer service skills to manage visitors in a friendly, professional and efficient manner. They will manage the daily student attendance process and tracking, and support the VP Student Success with calendar management, report generation, and other support as necessary. They will also provide administrative support to the Summer Academy Program and Director. This position works in a procedural, collaborative manner with faculty, students, parents, and staff in keeping with the school’s vision, philosophy and strategic plan.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Oversees the full attendance process in a timely manner
- Tracks student arrivals and departures during the school day and liaises with the division offices for attendance purposes
- Follows-up on student attendance records and class attendance for every block; monitors student sign-in and sign-out; tracks and inputs student absences, late arrival and early dismissals
- Ensures that faculty complete their class attendance in a timely manner every period
- Resolves any discrepancies in daily student attendance records by monitoring the Unexcused Absences and Lates and Late Arrivals queries throughout the day
- Produces student attendance reports regularly as requested
- Communicates with parents and Vice Principal daily regarding attendance issues; produces attendance reports and queries for the Vice Principal, Student Success
- Supports the VP Student Success and Summer Academy Director in the planning and communication around registration for Summer Academy
- Sorts and distributes inquiries and information while alerting Summer Academy Director of all updates and communication that require immediate attention
- Communicates and liaises with other departments and colleagues to ensure clear communication and processes are followed. For example: Learning Resource, the eLearning Consortium of Canada (ELCC) and Communications
- Is present and working during Summer Academy to support the Director, monitor student absences and sign outs for Summer Academy (All of July for credit courses and a week in August for skills camps)
- Manages parent communications in a timely and professional manner
- Supports Summer Academy Teachers as needed
- Assists with the report card process
VP Student Success Support
- Acts as a first point of contact and dealing with correspondence and phone calls
- Manages calendar and organises agendas for meetings, meetings and appointments
- Books and arranges travel, transport and accommodation
- Supports the school with speakers, events and conferences as needed
- Prepares communications on behalf of manager
- Provides professional and friendly help and direction to members of the BSS community and the public
- Tracks and monitors visitors and assigns appropriate documentation for security purposes
- Ensures COVID screening and verifies ID and visitor’s vaccination status
- Answers the main phone lines
- Ensures the reception area is inviting and presentable at all times
General Administrative Support
- Is a member of the Senior School Office and Administrative Specialists team
- Provides administrative support such as electronic calendar maintenance, filing and preparing correspondence, as well as event-related support to the members of the Administrative Specialists team
- Performs routine administrative functions as required, such as correspondence preparation, scheduling, mailings, mail, and maintaining electronic files
- Has an in-depth understanding of the daily routines and special events at the school
- Keeps Fire Drill attendance lists up to date with student additions and withdrawals
- Has an in depth knowledge of school’s Crisis Management protocols
- Participates as a member of the Administrative Specialists Team
- Embeds diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging values into all activities
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Outstanding customer service focus
- Experience in an educational environment, is an asset
- Proven strength in Microsoft Office including Excel, and proficiency working in a Google environment including Drive, Docs, Sheets, Calendars
- Demonstrated expertise in the effective use of database technology – knowledge and experience with Blackbaud an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both in person and over the telephone
- Demonstrated professionalism at all times including reliability
- Proven ability to be vigilant with respect to security issues
- Ability to recall names, faces and facts
- Warm, nurturing personality
- Tact, diplomacy and patience
- Proven ability to exercise good judgment and make split-second decisions, prioritize and handle confidential information
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to remain flexible
- Effective team player; and ability to work independently and take initiative
- Has a growth mindset
- Sense of humour
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to email@example.com indicating Receptionist and Administrative Assistant in the subject line.
The Bishop Strachan School has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees and students, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca
- Day & Boarding School