Internationally acclaimed for its unique environment and expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) has built a reputation over its long history as an undisputed leader in education. Offering a challenging, lively and creative atmosphere, a roster of uniquely qualified faculty and staff, and an inspiring campus featuring a spectacular science and arts wing, BSS inspires each student to find her passion, pursue her dreams and reach her potential through a rigorous academic program.
Helping students become smart, independent, compassionate young women, BSS provides the tools, technology and innovation required to thrive in post-secondary pursuits and beyond. Our unique whole girl approach, commitment to excellence and embodiment of strong values create a profound and powerful learning environment within a supportive, engaged community.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right exceptional candidate to fill the position of:
Executive Assistant to the Head of School
Reports to: Head of School
Summary of Position:
The Executive Assistant to the Head of School (EA) supports the Head of School (Head) on all day-to-day administrative matters and governance support, both operational and strategic, with all constituents of The Bishop Strachan School community in a professional and warm manner, in keeping with the school’s vision, mission and values.
- Maintains the smooth running of the Head’s Office by providing accurate and timely administrative support to the Head of School in areas such as:
- email and calendar management
- expense management
- arrangement of travel plans
- speaking engagements and functions
- maintenance of records, in conjunction with other departments as needed
- gathering documents, including agendas and support materials to prepare for meetings (external and internal)
- Serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external inquiries on all matters pertaining to the Head of School and act as the main liaison between Head of School and Senior Leadership Team
- Oversees the organization of school functions held at the Head’s House and Head’s Reception Gallery
- Organizes the Board of Governors and Committee meetings on behalf of the Head and Chair of the Board of Governors, including:
- scheduling meetings and retreats
- booking rooms and food/drinks
- preparing and distributing materials
- taking minutes
- managing information on Diligent (resource documents, meeting documents, etc.)
- Understands and follows Board policies and procedures, often with Board Chair and/or Director of Finance
- Communicates directly with Board members on behalf of the Head and/or the Chair of the Board of Governors
- Acts as the liaison with the Board of Governors in meeting planning and organizational matters
- Liaises with students, employees, parents, Governors, Trustees, Parent Association Co-Chairs, donors and community on behalf of the Head
- Anticipates needs for Head’s requirements in advance of requests and plans accordingly
- Troubleshoots processes with various administrative departments from the perspective of the Head’s office
- Oversees implementation and consistency of the BSS Records Management System through regular training and updates
- Embeds diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging values into all activities
- Participates in the Administrative Specialists Team meetings
- Attends school functions as requested
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Other related responsibilities
Skills, Experience and Attributes:
- Excellent judgment, confidentiality, discretion and diplomacy in order to deal with the various school stakeholders and the multiplicities of the position
- Knowledge of how to work with a Board
- Extensive experience working in a senior administrative role preferably in an educational environment
- Strongly developed sense of professional judgment, knowing when to make a decision and when to defer to the Head
- Polished and professional interpersonal/verbal and written skills in order to effectively serve a broad variety of internal and external clients
- Sophisticated technology skills with advanced expertise in Google Suite, online video platforms, Microsoft 365 and other related technologies
- Ability to see the big picture, work with detail and exercise administrative discretion
- Customer service focus and ability to calmly troubleshoot and facilitate issues to a successful conclusion
- Excellent organizational and time management skills in order to juggle the multiple demands of the office
- Ability to perform well under pressure and manage competing priorities
- Perspective and common sense
- Flexibility and a sense of humour
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop StrachanSchool by email to email@example.com indicating Executive Assistant to the Head of School in the subject.
The Bishop Strachan School has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees and students, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca
Start Date: October 21, 2021