2020-21 Academic Year
Renowned for its expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, BSS offers a single-gender environment that helps girls achieve their best, both academically and in their life’s pursuits. Continually reaching forward, renewing itself and keeping time with the fast-paced changes and increasing demands of the complicated world its graduates will face, BSS believes girls can do anything and strives to give them the 21st century tools to achieve whatever dreams they conceive.
Our teachers provide a rigorous curricular experience that embraces inquiry-based instructional strategies. We are seeking highly collaborative part-time teachers who are passionate about their subject area, who actively seek the opportunity for interdisciplinary and real-world connections and who are innovative not only in the use of technology but in the ways that they engage students in learning. New and experienced teachers who have been actively engaged in ongoing professional development and are excited about making a difference in the lives of young women, in our Reggio-inspired Junior School, are encouraged to apply for the following combined position for the 2021-22 academic year:
After Care Program Teacher and Supply Teacher
Reports To: After Care Program Co-ordinator
3:00 to 6:00 pm Monday to Friday when school is in session during September to June. Participation in professional learning days and all-staff meetings throughout the year.
Summary of Positions:
The After Care Program Teacher, in conjunction with the After Care Program Co-ordinator, offers JK-Grade 6 program supervision and homework assistance within a caring and nurturing environment. In addition, the
Co-ordinator and Teacher incorporate a variety of indoor and outdoor activities that are consistent with an inquiry approach from 3:00 to 6:00 pm. The position also provides the opportunity to teach on an occasional basis during staff absences in the Junior School at a separate supply rate.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Assists students in small groups or individually with daily homework tasks
- Develops daily activities for the girls to do upon completion of homework
- Organizes weekly activities ensuring all supplies are in stock
- Supervises students in playground and classroom
- Collaborates with Co-ordinator to plan future activities
- Facilitates snack time with the students
- Liaises with other teachers and parents ensuring needs of students are met
- Escorts students to Wellness Centre as needed
- Commits to the Faculty Growth and Evaluation Process
- Performs other duties as required
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Member of the Ontario College of Teachers with Primary/Junior credentials
- Experience teaching girls 4 to 10 years of age in camp, childcare or classroom setting
- Commitment to best practices
- Current in First Aid/CPR
- A sense of humour and fun, positive attitude
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills. Able to handle multiple priorities in a professional manner
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with particular emphasis on Word and Excel
- Experience working in a Google environment including drive, docs, sheets, calendars and communities an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with students, staff and parents
- Commitment to the vision of the school
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by mail to email@example.com indicating After Care Program Teacher in the subject line by Monday November 22, 2021.
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination unless a valid accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists and can be accommodated. All internal candidates must be in compliance with The Bishop Strachan School's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
- Day & Boarding School