The Bishop Strachan School (“BSS”) is an undisputed leader in girls’ education. It is within this dynamic, creative and nurturing setting that girls acquire the academic tools, the life skills and the personal confidence to become tomorrow’s leaders. BSS is a leading-edge, year-round, day and boarding school for girls, located in mid- town Toronto, with a student population of 900 JK to Grade 12 students. BSS prepares its students to meet the challenges of tomorrow’s world by focusing on the whole girl – her development in academics, athletics and the arts, as well as her social, emotional, spiritual and physical well-being. At BSS, girls are given the space, the encouragement and the tools to pursue all of their dreams.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking exceptional candidates to fill the position of:
Stewardship and Events Manager
Reports to: Executive Director, Advancement
Summary of Position:
The Stewardship and Events Manager is responsible for developing a strategy that aims to optimize community engagement with BSS, resulting in impactful constituent participation, increased volunteer commitment and expanded philanthropic support. In consultation with the Executive Director of Advancement and other members of the Advancement team, the Stewardship and Events Manager will create and execute events, communications and touch points that further the community-building goals of the Advancement Department (including parents, alumnae, donors and other key stakeholders). They will also develop and manage systems and processes to provide enhanced tracking and measurement of contacts and stewardship moves, and develop policies and reporting for donor and volunteer recognition.
Key Result Areas:
Stewardship and Communications
- Develop and manage stewardship strategy and programs designed to build enduring relationships with supporters that encourage continued giving
- Develop and manage an annual communications strategy for leadership volunteers and donors, including writing stewardship reports
- Collaborate with the development team and the marketing and communications team to design newsletters or other communications to inform constituents and demonstrate the impact of giving
- Manage donor agreements and the donor recognition program
- Develop an annual special events plan and strategy and manage all special events including, but not limited to, donor recognition and gift announcements; onsite and virtual networking events; signature events such as Heritage Dinner, Reunions, and celebrations of the DOGA (Distinguished Old Girl Award)
- Plan engagement and cultivation receptions that take place locally, nationally and internationally
- Deliver stewardship and annual volunteer recognition events; “experiential” activities; and key fundraising events for a range of key BSS constituents.
- Manage the donor recognition program which includes developing new policies and standards where appropriate
- Establish standards and formats for gift acknowledgement, including writing customized letters from BSS’s leadership
- Conduct research on best practice, and innovate to develop new strategies for events and stewardship
- Coordinate venue contracts, arrange food and beverage, order audiovisual equipment and other rentals, and make travel arrangements for special guests and speakers
- Manage workflow of printed collateral and other event materials (invitations, programs, signage, name tags, seating cards, etc.) with internal departments and external vendors
- Monitor event budget, process invoices, and prepare expense reimbursement forms
- Prepare event packets, registration lists and scripts
- Close out events, ensuring that all registration and attendance details are recorded in Raiser's Edge and budget has been reconciled
- Conduct review of events with detailed analysis and recommendations to improve future event planning and implementation, where possible, identify impact against event goals.
- In collaboration with the Advancement Services Co-ordinator, develop, maintain and improve upon reporting systems including social media activity and website traffic/click-throughs (Google Analytics), email and invitation open rates (RE NXT), and other metrics
- Coordinate Advancement e-blasts using RE NXT Online Express
- Embed diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging values into all activities and events
- Commit to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Any other tasks as assigned
Skills, Experience and Attributes:
- University degree
- Minimum five years related work experience; experience in a fundraising environment preferred
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and professionalism, with the ability to interact with donors, volunteers, alumnae and other stakeholders
- Flexibility and adaptability to shifting situations and priorities
- Ability to take initiative, exercise tact, discretion and sensitivity in many cultural contexts, and to follow through on assigned tasks
- Ability to create events and communications that resonate with a culturally diverse audience
- Strong project management and organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, mail merges, and email and web searches
- Ability to navigate, monitor, and prepare content for a variety of social media channels
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge, and ideally with Online Express (NXT)
- Experience in event planning and production
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge in building relationships
- Willingness to serve as a dynamic and collaborative team player
- Proven ability to anticipate needs, multi-task, problem-solve, and meet tight timelines
- Superior customer service ethic and high expectations for quality and confidentiality
- Ability to work independently and maintain a sense of humour
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Stewardship and Events Manager in the subject line.
The Bishop Strachan School has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees and students, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca
- Day & Boarding School