UTS is a university co-educational preparatory school that is based solely on merit and affiliated with the University of Toronto. UTS enrolls approximately 675 students grades 7 through 12 and has a generous bursary program. We attract a unique, diverse community of exceptionally talented students, who arrive at the school prepared to be challenged and guided by extraordinary, award-winning teachers to collectively realize the magic of everyday triumphs, and become socially responsible global citizens and principled leaders.
Equity, diversity and inclusion underpin the UTS experience. Our school honours and celebrates the rich tapestry of diverse people and perspectives that make up our community. We do not sit on our laurels but take the initiative to advance ongoing improvement on every front. New ideas always have a voice, and are realized through courageous creativity, collaboration and community.
UTS has just moved into its newly renovated home at 371 Bloor Street West. The school now boasts a 700-seat auditorium, a blackbox theatre, a double gymnasium and innovative learning spaces. We are looking for an energetic, engaging, detail-oriented Facilities and Events Services Coordinator to handle school events, as well as coordinate space rentals and event coordination for U of T and other affiliates, as well as external parties.
If you value working in a culture that is inclusive and celebrates individuality and new ideas, and you enjoy working with a team of people who are innovative, dynamic, collaborative and progressive, we invite you to explore this opportunity.
As the school’s Facilities & Events Services Coordinator, you will act as the primary contact for UTS school events requiring catering needs and special facilities arrangements, including board of directors’ meetings, UTS Alumni Association (UTSAA) and UTS Parents Association (UTSPA) meetings and Advancement events. In addition, you will be tasked with coordinating event/space booking requests from the University of Toronto and other affiliates and external parties looking to use UTS space for classes, conferences and other events. Reporting to the Director of Facilities & HR Services and under the general direction of the Chief People Officer, you will be responsible for booking spaces for events within the school building, monitoring the calendar for staff events and other events hosted by the school, including the UTSAA and UTSPA, and coordinating any set-up and catering requirements for the events, including clean up. In all your dealings you will exercise a high degree of diplomacy and have a strong commitment to customer service, ensuring positive communication with UTS staff, the University of Toronto, and other stakeholders.
- Manage/populate Facilities Calendar with all events and requirements
- Act as the primary contact for
- UTS school events requiring catering needs and special facilities arrangements, including board of directors’ meetings, UTSAA and UTSPA meetings and Advancement events.
- Departmental academic/administrative room bookings and catering needs.
- U of T and other affiliates and external parties looking to use UTS space for classes, conferences and other events.
- Schedule team members, security and caretaking to ensure appropriate coverage and service for events.
- Coordinate any furniture rentals required for events.
- Take, place and prepare catering orders.
- Liaise with catering companies and ensure timely delivery
- Coordinate with 3rd party contractors for auditorium lighting and other technical/theatre needs.
- Responsible for ensuring that events operate within approved budgets; liaises with the Finance Department regarding event budgets, and invoicing.
- Coordinate/liaise with IT to ensure that basic audiovisual equipment is available and ready to use as needed.
- Manage catering/events budget and tracks and monitor the labour and food cost for each event.
- Maintain punctuality in daily work times, appointment, and meetings.
- Report all accidents and injuries in a timely manner, address spillage, breakage expeditiously and report any resulting health & safety issues.
- Keep work area neat and clean while following all safety and sanitation procedures.
- Apply a strategy of ongoing service improvement to ensure increased customer/stakeholder satisfaction.
School Specific Services
- Manage coffee/hot beverage inventory in staff rooms and the Principal’s Office.
- Ensure that the Principal’s kitchen and school catering kitchen are well maintained and inventoried at all times.
Affiliate and External Party Rental and Services
- Liaise with U of T in relation to auditorium use in accordance with Affiliation Agreement guidelines. Ensure that any needed support is provided in accordance with Affiliation guidelines.
- Manage External/UT space rental at UTS, including all communications to meet customer expectations and ensure optimum service.
- Deliver consistent quality in planning and execution of all events.
- Oversee service for group functions once they are in house.
- Oversee catering and/or conference services, including rental and services charges to external groups.
- Work closely with the Director, CPO and CFO to develop and execute strategies to achieve event/rental revenue forecasts.
- This position acts as a member of the Facilities Team and provides backup support as needed, and takes on duties as assigned by the Director or CPO, and works effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
Education: Post-secondary degree or diploma or equivalent of education and experience
Experience: Minimum 3 years of facilities and events management experience, preferably in an educational institution. Must have budget management experience and a solid grasp of Safety Regulations in general with an emphasis on food handling.
- A confident, natural leader and problem solver with demonstrated critical thinking and collaboration skills who is able to respond to opportunities, issues, and concerns with a sense of urgency.
- Must have a strong command of the English language and strong communication skills.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 30 lbs.
- Comfortable making decisions and multitasking.
- Able to display a strong work ethic and positive attitude.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word), as well as Google Suite, and skill in using a web-based service management system.
- Must have a highly developed interpersonal skills and a strong commitment to customer service;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Must have the ability to work collaboratively with different stakeholders and resolve conflicts.
- Displays tact and courtesy in dealing with people;
- Must have the ability to take initiatives, be assertive in completing tasks, be flexible to handle a variety of activities concurrently;
- Possesses demonstrated ability to work independently and be dependable.
Start Date: October 3, 2022
Compensation: This position is unionized and is compensated on the grid and is classified at Band 11 on the UTS-USW grid at a hire rate of $63,722 with annual progression.
Benefits: UTS offers a comprehensive compensation package that includes; medical/health benefits, pension plan, life and LTD insurance and Educational Assistance/Professional Development funds. All UTS employees are eligible to participate in the University of Toronto’s Joint Membership Club and have access to the University’s library and other amenities.
How to Apply:
Candidates should submit their applications and cover letters online through the UTS Career Centre portal. This posting will stay open until it is filled. We hope to fill this position before October 3, 2022.
University of Toronto Schools is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons / persons of colour, women, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
We thank all candidates in advance; however, we will contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls please. If selected for an interview please inform us if you require any accommodations.
For more information please visit www.utschools.ca
- Day School
- UTS University of Toronto Schools