Elmwood School is the pre-eminent all-girls’ school in Canada’s capital– recognized as one of the most innovative girls' schools in North America and ranked as one of the top 25 private schools in Canada. Acclaimed for its academic excellence, caring atmosphere and strong community, Elmwood is a school where girls are encouraged to stretch themselves, try new things, create and explore. A ﬁxture in Ottawa for 106 years, Elmwood oﬀers the International Baccalaureate Programme from the Primary Years through the Diploma levels, along with a wide variety of co-curricular activities designed to enrich and develop the whole girl. Elmwood is a community of dynamic and forward-thinking leaders, passionate and innovative teachers, inspired and active learners and a strong and engaged parent base working together to achieve success at the highest level.
Position: Director of Finance and Administration
Position Type: Full-time - Leadership Team
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Application Deadline: November 19, 2021
Start Date: March 1, 2022
This position is a key leadership role responsible for both the financial and business functions of the school. This person will be responsible for coordinating and managing all financial functions and payroll administration, as well as overseeing the facilities, food services and administration operations and staff. The reporting relationship is to the Head of School. This position has several direct reports including Facility Manager, Chef/Bistro Manager, Finance department and front office staff.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- CGA, CMA or CPA designation
- Minimum 5 years experience in a comparable senior position, with a budget of at least $5M, including payroll administration and staff management responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE:
- Lead finance team and manage staff by coaching, developing, training and monitoring individual performance.
- Complete monthly closing cycle and review operating results compared to budget and adjust projections.
- Produce accurate and timely financial records and report monthly financial results to the school Leadership Team and Board of Governors Finance Committee. Analyzes variances from plan and prior year results.
- Ensure internal controls are firmly established and maintained. Review and establish process improvement measures.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organization's fiscal function and performance.
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision-making issues affecting the organization.
- Coordinate the annual budgeting process and assemble the annual budgets for review by the Head and Finance Committee.
- Manage external relationships with bankers, auditors, and insurance brokers.
- Coordinate successful annual audit
- Assist in the preparation of material for Board of Governors and committee meetings as necessary.
PAYROLL AND BENEFITS:
- Manage the semi-monthly payroll, new employee contracts and annual salary adjustments.
- Administer the staff pension plan for both the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan (OTPP) and the Canada Life Pension Plan, including monthly pension plan submissions, annual reconciliations and pension adjustment reporting.
- Coordinate benefits plan with Manulife.
- Maintain personnel files, including police checks, salary adjustments and vacation.
- Responsible for T4/T4A coordination with ADP, annual pension fund reporting, and quarterly HST returns and other Government reporting (T3010, CVOR, French Grant, EHT etc.).
- Reporting to CAIS (Canadian Accredited Independent Schools) on benchmarking standards
- Reporting any relevant information regarding the schools charitable status
- Oversee the student billing process.
- Manage the receivables through emails, and telephone follow-up.
- Manage the AP function.
- Sign and approve all cheques and expenditures.
- Review and approve all purchasing contracts
POLICY AND PROCEDURES:
- Create policies and procedures around the finance and payroll admin functions.
- Support the development of school policies and procedures.
FACILITIES, FOOD SERVICES AND ADMINISTRATION
- Manage the facilities and Bistro managers and front office staff.
- Oversea and guide the functions of the Bistro, Facilities and Administration.
- Ability to work autonomously
- Ability to work as a key member of the Leadership Team providing strategic thinking beyond just the financial matters of the school
- Organized, flexible, professional and diplomatic with superior communication and relationship skills
- Excellent analytical and detail-oriented skills
- Willingness and ability to research issues
- Ability to manage and supervise
- Technically able and open-minded with an ability to adapt and learn quickly
Should your background and skills be a match for our needs, please send your cover letter, resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Director of Finance and Administration” in the subject line. Contact us if you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or would like more information on our accommodation policies.
We thank all applicants for their interest. We will, however, only contact those selected for an interview.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 19th, 2021
- Day School