Crescent School has been a leader in boys' education since 1913. Located on a beautiful, 37-acre campus in mid-Toronto, Crescent School has students in Grades 3 through 12. Our mission, Men of Character from Boys of Promise, enables each student to reach the full potential of his unique abilities. Character development drives everything we do. We are committed to mentoring and relational learning – which bring out the best in boys – and instilling core values of respect, responsibility, honesty and compassion. We nurture wellbeing while cultivating excellence in academics, arts, athletics, business, outreach and robotics.
Our expertise is supported by exceptional resources, including high-tech learning spaces, modern libraries, a professionally equipped theatre and superb athletic facilities.
Crescent School invites applications for;
Director of Summer Academic Program
Reporting to the Deputy Headmaster and the Director of Business Development, the Director of Summer Programs executes the vision and delivery of the Summer Academic Program (SAP) and Successful Start Programs (SSP). The Director will determine course offerings (credit and non-credit), manage student registration, recruit teachers, supervise day to day activities of the SAP and SSP programs, visit classrooms, manage student discipline, liaise with parents, and ensure reporting adheres to the Ministry of Education guidelines. The Director will also collaborate with Crescent School’s Assistant Head of Upper School, Academics, and its University Counsellors in order to ensure that there is alignment between both academic programs.
- Co-creates the strategic direction and value proposition of the Summer Academic Program (SAP), with a particular emphasis on the Strategic Academic Plan and Crescent Way and with a vision to develop a program that differentiates from competitors;
- Co-creates the strategic direction and value proposition of the Successful Start Program (SSP), to introduce new and returning students to Crescent and specific academic topics and skills prior to the start of school;
- Provides leadership in the development and delivery of the curriculum through programs and technologies;
- Builds the SAP and SSP course and program offerings in collaboration with the Division Heads, coordinates with Marketing & Communications and the Business Development Office to advertise courses and manage student enrolment;
- Monitors and analyzes marketplace trends and their impact on the SAP, and implements corrective action in collaboration with the Director of Business Development;
- Leads, with oversight from the Deputy Headmaster, SAP and SSP teachers by running the recruiting process, overseeing the curriculum, visiting classrooms, ensuring quality program delivery, and providing feedback and evaluations;
- Ensures that teachers are trained in advance to deliver instruction that aligns with the strategic direction of the programs and ensures the technological needs of teachers and students are ready in advance of the summer programs;
- Ensures that the Ministry of Education guidelines are followed for the SAP by overseeing student course assessments, course completion and student reports processes;
- Ensure a safe learning environment and that virtual/online and on-campus policies and procedures are established, acknowledged, and executed, including any public health protocols;
- Manages the SAP and SSP budgets;
- Manages student behaviour and liaises with parents in accordance with best practices for disciplinary incident management and investigation;
- Other duties as required.
Job Specific Competencies
- Strategic academic vision and is current on educational research, pedagogy, virtual learning, and requirements;
- Proficient with computer software including MS Office, Google Suite, CampBrain and classroom technologies, including but not limited to Schoology, Google Classroom, FlipGrid, Zoom;
- An ability to develop and execute the programs vision both strategically and in a detailed, hands-on manner;
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with a focus on creative resolution and continuous improvement;
- Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing to students, families, and faculty and other stakeholders;
- Displays firmness and fairness in relations with staff and students and manage issues in a calm and solution-oriented manner;
- The ability to independently manage multiple priorities accordingly;
- Financial acuity and budget management experience.
Knowledge, Education, Experience
- Bachelor or Master of Education and membership in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers; PQP Part Two designation is preferred, and the Teaching and Learning with eLearning AQ would be an asset.
- At least 5 years of classroom teaching experience, experience in educational leadership would be an asset.
- Hours may vary depending on summer schedule and program offerings.
- This position is for the remainder of the 2023 academic year.
For more information about Crescent School and employment opportunities please visit our website at www.crescentschool.org. Please apply by submitting your cover letter and resume to recruitment.peopleandculture@ crescentschool.org and indicate “Application – Director of SAP” in the subject line. Crescent School believes in the importance of diversity, inclusivity, and belonging.
We value the unique life experience that each person brings and believe that human differences make us stronger. We strive to be a community where every person feels welcome and valued. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. Special accommodations for candidates with disabilities are available upon request.
- Crescent School
- Day School
- Summer Programs