Director of Marketing & Communications
Full-Time - Permanent
Founded in 1867, The Bishop Strachan School is Canada’s oldest independent day and boarding school for girls. BSS is renowned for its expertise in the learning needs of girls, offering an enriched, inquiry-based curriculum. We develop lifelong learners and courageous leaders by nurturing attributes like curiosity, confidence, and creativity. We foster a caring environment that strives for diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in our classrooms and beyond. Find out more about BSS by going here.
We offer the opportunity to join an exceptional community of professionals and contribute meaningfully to the education of tomorrow’s transformational leaders. As an employer, we focus on building and developing our employees to be the very best at what they do. We offer competitive compensation, a variety of benefits and supports, and a thought-provoking and inspirational environment.
If you’re looking to challenge yourself and be a leader in girls’ education, we invite you to explore a career with BSS.
Summary of Position
Reporting to the Executive Director, Enrolment & Communications, the Director of Marketing and Communications serves as the school's communications and marketing strategist, responsible for leading the design and implementation of a set of strategies that tells the story of the school. This strategy will support the school’s strategic vision and priorities, specifically focusing on:
- Promoting enrolment and retention
- Nurturing brand identity through clear and compelling messages
- Cultivating successful fundraising
- Ensuring coherence and consistency across all communications and marketing activities
- Collaboratively develops and executes the marketing and communications strategy that aligns with the school’s strategic vision and priorities, based on data-driven strategies and key performance metrics.
- Lead external vendors and agencies in campaign development, marketing research, campaign metrics and campaign evaluation.
- Collaborate with Advancement and Student Recruiting Teams on developing marketing and communications strategies and plans.
- Benchmark BSS’ marketing and communications programs against competitors in order to continuously improve.
- Oversee external digital communications properties including the BSS website, all social media channels, and relevant sections of myBSS, ensuring content is current, timely, on strategy and reflects the mission, vision, values of the school.
- Promote a culture of inclusion and equity where the schools’ commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging is a part of all the marketing and communications work.
- Produce timely Head of School communications for face-to-face, email and video channels.
Brand and Communications Leadership
- Act as chief steward of the BSS brand to ensure that all marketing, promotional and other key communications materials are consistent and coherent across the school, with the high quality and standards synonymous with the BSS brand, and reflecting the school’s vision, mission and values.
- Function as internal and external storyteller, leading the team to generate case studies and stories that portray the BSS experience for students, employees, parents, alumnae and the wider community.
- Lead the creative development, execution and measurement of school publications such as the impact report, admission brochures, the alumnae magazine, school profile and academic publications.
- Have an overview of all the communications across the school providing strategic input and guidance on the volume and cadence of communications.
- Develop and continue to update the School’s Crisis Communication Plan to ensure the Senior Leadership Team, faculty and staff are trained and prepared for an internal or external crisis situation.
- Respond to requests for information release or press conference from the media or designating a spokesperson or source of information.
- Lead the marketing and communications employees, coaching, mentoring and overseeing the performance management of employees, interns, agencies and freelancers, and in their development of new skills and competencies.
- Proactively partner with school leaders to articulate and communicate initiatives and programs that advance the mission and strategy of the school.
- Advise and assist the Head of School, Board of Governors, Principals and other school leaders in public affairs and press releases and the preparation of sensitive correspondence when required.
- Proactively engage with all departments across the school to support their marketing initiatives.
- Embed diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging into all processes.
Skills, Experience and Attributes
- Astute marketer
- Crisp communicator
- Relationship builder
- Open-minded creative, visionary and innovative leader
- Superb writing and communication skills
- Passionately engaged in the life of the school
- Work some evenings and weekends, and travels occasionally for school events.
- Proven expertise in communications, public relations, marketing and branding and evaluating the quality and impact of creative communications materials across all platforms including written materials, print advertising, promotional materials, digital media, and inbound and content marketing
- Culturally competent and demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion and a belief in cultural uniqueness and a readiness to accept and respect others
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
- Commitment to school safety where all staff and students are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19
Why Work at BSS?
We value the willingness to take risks in order to learn and grow - and not just for our students. At BSS, you have the opportunity to immerse yourself in an unparalleled setting, with access to innovative tools, support and resources, so you can pursue ongoing professional learning, whatever your role. BSS offers a competitive total compensation package that includes:
- Extensive health and dental benefits package
- Our administration participate in our robust pension plan with up to 8% match
- Lunches provided with a taxable benefit
- Discounted tuition for eligible staff
- Use of on-site fitness center
- And a chance to be part of a great community!
BSS Values Diversity:
BSS is committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and respectful environment. We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply. We are also committed to providing accommodation for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please contact the Executive Assistant, Human Resources and Finance at 416-483-4325, ext. 4207 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com indicating Director of Marketing & Communications in the subject line. For more information about BSS, please visit our website at www.bss.on.ca
Please note, we have a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated.
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Day & Boarding School
- The Bishop Strachan School