Rosseau Lake College seeks a full-time Boarding Don for the 2022-2023 school year. The successful candidate will be an energetic and committed educator who is intrinsically motivated to develop personal pedagogy through valuable teaching experience. RLC supports each of its educators with extensive internal and external professional development opportunities. Contract Length: One year with an option to renew for a second year.
Contract Length: One year with an option to renew for a second year.
● Help organize and implement evening and weekend programming activities in a vibrant boarding community.
● Coach and supervise students through active participation in the co-curricular program.
● Plan, organize, provide instruction, and maintain records and evidence of progress for student assessment for one Ontario Ministry of Education course per year (with possible opportunities to teach additional courses).
● Monitor and manage the custodial care of boarding students.
● Like all faculty and staff, be an ongoing champion for the social, mental, and emotional wellbeing of all students across the school program, helping to ensure that each student is known, understood, and feels a deep sense of belonging and safety.
● Provide a nurturing and supportive living/learning/working environment that encourages student responsibility and overall growth, and that is rooted in Restorative Justice.
● Maintain standards of student behaviour required to run a safe campus environment conducive to student learning and development.
● Proven ability to develop a caring rapport with students in grades 6 - 12
● Possibility of an added role as a Head or Assistant Head Houseparent in one of the residences
Education and Experience:
● Ontario Teachers’ Certificate (preferred, not always necessary)
● Post Secondary Education at the University level
● Comfort and experience with and in the outdoors (experience in Outdoor Education is an asset)
● Experience with students in an overnight setting, such as a camp, is an asset
● Maintain and model a commitment to inclusive and anti-racist practices
● Positive, enthusiastic, and encouraging approach to learning and all aspects of school life
● Ability to positively engage students, assist them with tasks, and help them succeed
● Effective communication with students, parents, and colleagues
● Commitment to student learning and success
● Willingness to learn, and commitment to personal growth and development
● Willingness to commit to obtaining an F-Class driver’s license
● A sense of humour and fun
Our Dons are essential and highly-valued members of our community, and offer support for the academic, social, physical, and emotional well-being of our students.
Hours of work vary in conjunction with school duties and responsibilities, as well as with operational requirements of the School and boarding in general. Day, evening and weekend work is required.
This position includes room and board, a standard employee benefits package (health, dental, life insurance, long-term disability), enrollment in the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (OTPP), a modest salary and a healthy, personal Professional Development fund.
The successful candidate will also enjoy the inherent rewards of joining the friendly, talented, and dedicated team at Canada’s best small independent school, living and working among the pines on our beautiful 50-acre waterfront property.
Estimated Start Date: October 1, 2022
Please apply to Graham Vogt, School Principal, stating “Boarding Life Don”” in the subject line, at email@example.com.
Please Note: Rosseau Lake College is committed to providing accommodation for persons with disabilities. Please contact our administration for further details or for any information in an alternate format.
- Day & Boarding School
- Rosseau Lake College