Under the direction of the Executive Director, Boarding and Health Services, Boarding Dons provide support to the boarding students and program. Boarding Dons function as a team to ensure that the school’s Mission Statement is upheld.
Boarding Dons provide a supportive, caring environment where our students can grow, develop and thrive both personally and academically. This position will nurture healthy relationships between our students through evening programming and weekend activities. The Boarding Don will provide an environment that promotes emotional growth, personal development and maturation and academic success.
The Boarding Don is an active member of the boarding team who lives on campus in the residence on a 10-month contract. There are summer opportunities in our ESL Summer Camp for those that are interested.
- Attend breakfast on a rotational schedule to monitor students and check residences to ensure that students are up and ready for the day.
- Work on a rotational basis to cover the residences in the evenings, overnight and weekends (including long weekends).
- Provide on call coverage to the residences.
- Live in the residence.
- Meal coverage for breakfast and dinner.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Maintain a safe and supportive boarding program.
- Act as a “Family Head” for a smaller group of students within the residence.
- Act as a communication liaison for faculty and parents.
- Communicate on a regular basis with parents and custodians.
- Communicate regularly with the boarding team members.
- Support the academic development of students as needed.
- Ensure a safe boarding community.
- Liaise with the Health Centre staff to assist with any medical care of students as required.
- Assist with the Pickering College Co-Curricular Program to provide coaching or club leadership each term.
- Support the students academically through evening study coverage in assigned areas: Math, Science, English, ESL, Writing Lab, Middle School Study etc.
- Perform other duties as related, required or assigned.
- University Graduate
- Camp/Residence experience preferred
- Experience working with adolescents preferred
- Mature and responsible with initiative and leadership abilities
- Positive interpersonal skills and competent judgement
- Athletic/sports coaching interest
- Superior time management skills
- First Aid and CPR/AED certification required
- ‘E' Class Driver's Licence (not mandatory)
- A current Police Record Check is a condition of employment
If you would like to be considered for this exciting opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate(s) must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Screening Police Report. Suitable accommodations are available for applicants with accessibility needs due to disability upon request.
- Day & Boarding School
- Pickering College