Swim Instructor/Lifeguard Athletics and Wellness Centre Employment
Employment Terms: Part-Time, 1-year contract
Start Date: October 18, 2021
Branksome Hall, a leading independent International Baccalaureate (IB) World School for girls challenges and inspires students to love learning and shape a better world. Through the unique combination of wellbeing, outstanding academics and international mindedness, Branksome Hall students and employees become impactful leaders who give back to their communities. With our values of Sense of Community, Inclusiveness, Creativity and Making a Difference as a foundation, Branksome Hall offers a strong liberal arts curriculum that develops critical thinking and inquiry skills.
For the 2021−22 academic year, we are seeking a part-time (4-14 hours/week) Swim Instructor/Lifeguard to work in the Athletic and Wellness Centre on the weekends. Shifts will be between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. The successful candidate will join the Athletics and Wellness team and report into the Auxiliary Programs Coordinator and/or Director, Athletics and Wellness Centre.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- The Swim Instructor/Lifeguard is responsible for the safety of all swimmers using the Athletics and Wellness Centre’s swimming pools;
- Provides instructional swimming lessons to various age groups following established curriculum;
- Plans, organizes and implements lesson plans and evaluations;
- Maintains direct contact with swimmers, communicating effectively while following and enforcing all COVID-19 related policies and procedures;
- The Swim Instructor/Lifeguard acts as the first responder in case of an emergency, providing First Aid as needed throughout the pool area;
- Monitor designated pool areas and responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the pool deck, change rooms and shower areas including safely storing equipment, picking up towels and debris etc.;
- The Swim Instructor/Lifeguard performs maintenance and related work, as required;
- Conducts facility inspections, completes opening and closing checklists, daily scheduled chemical tests and advises supervisor of any concerns found;
- The ideal candidate will enjoy working with children.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Applicants hold current National Lifeguard certification, Standard First Aid & CPR ‘C’ with AED (issued from Lifesaving Society, Canadian Red Cross, St John’s Ambulance, or Canadian Ski Patrol), and Red Cross Water Safety Instructor or Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor certifications;
- Must possess sound knowledge of the rules and regulation governing safety in an indoor pool facility;
- Knowledge and practice of Lifesaving, Lifeguarding, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and First Aid;
- Demonstrated ability to handle a variety of service situations in a busy aquatic facility;
- Candidates must have the ability to make decisions in an emergency situation;
- Previous experience as a Lifeguard and/or experience instructing the Red Cross Swim Program is an asset;
- Pool Operator Certification is an asset.
- Ability to work flexible hours is an asset;
- Required to move, lift, carry, pull and place objects weighing less than or equal to 40 pounds without assistance;
- Stand, sit or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire shift;
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting and pulling; and
- Move over sloping, uneven or slippery surfaces.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please click here to submit your cover letter and resume by October 7, 2021.
Branksome Hall is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position. Branksome Hall is strongly committed to diversity, equity and inclusion within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with (dis)abilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas, and champion diversity in its broadest sense. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates engaging in all parts of the recruitment and selection process at Branksome Hall.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about Branksome Hall Community Swim, please visit branksomeswim.ca.
- Day & Boarding School