Music Teacher (Band and/or Strings), Senior and Middle School
Employment Terms: Permanent and Contract
Date: August 2022
Branksome Hall, a leading independent International Baccalaureate (IB) World School for girls challenges and inspires students to love learning and shape a better world. Through the unique combination of wellbeing, outstanding academics and international mindedness, Branksome Hall students and employees become impactful leaders who give back to their communities. With our values of Sense of Community, Inclusiveness, Creativity and Making a Difference as a foundation, Branksome Hall offers a strong liberal arts curriculum that develops critical thinking and inquiry skills.
Beginning in the 2022-23 academic year, we are seeking Music Teachers to work in our Senior and Middle School. In a community where social-emotional learning is a key priority, the successful candidate demonstrates creativity, strong communication skills and the ability to build a caring rapport with students and colleagues.
Branksome Hall offers discrete Band, Strings, and Vocal Music streams in our Middle and Senior School. All of our students take Music in the Middle School and many choose to continue in the Senior School. The successful candidates will be able to teach Band and/or Strings within the Grade 7 - 12 music program.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Using a lens of social-emotional learning, create a class environment and rapport that inspires and supports learning and personal growth;
- Motivate students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a solid foundation for further education in accordance with each students ability;
- Establish positive relationships with parents, faculty and other staff members;
- Ensure the written, taught and assessed curriculum is in line with the IB and Ministry of Education curriculum ensuring differentiation;
- Implement strong Band and/or Strings course outlines, unit plans, lesson plans ensuring integration of all aspects of IB Middle Years Program and Diploma Program curricula, with a focus on inquiry based learning;
- Update all necessary records accurately as required by Ministry, IBO and school guidelines;
- Communicate information regularly to students, colleagues and parents regarding student progress including formally through report cards and parent teacher meetings;
- Keep up to date with developments in music education and approaches to teaching and learning through professional reading, participating in workshops and other professional development opportunities;
- Participate actively in faculty and department/division meetings and meet regularly with all course teams to plan, review and update the written curriculum;
- Assume responsibility for and participate in co-curricular activities, including, but not limited to, leading strings and/or band ensembles;
- Inspire a love of music among students;
- Participate as an Advisor, mentoring students and meeting them regularly.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution with a specialist in Music (with a focus on Band and/or Strings) or another related degree;
- Ontario College of Teachers certification or equivalent degree with I/S qualifications in Music;
- Minimum three years’ teaching experience;
- Experience in and knowledge of IB, and Diploma is a strong asset;
- Knowledge of relevant technology and able to work in a laptop and online environment;
- Belief in Branksome Hall’s mission, vision and values;
- Adept at delivering education program electronically and be able to use electronic communication to correspond with students, parents, colleagues and the community at large;
- Possesses strong oral and written communication skills;
- Work independently with little direct supervision;
- Work as part of a team;
- Strong time management skills.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please click here to submit your resume and cover letter by February 10, 2022.
Branksome Hall is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position. Branksome Hall is strongly committed to diversity, equity and inclusion within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with (dis)abilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas, and champion diversity in its broadest sense. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates engaging in all parts of the recruitment and selection process at Branksome Hall. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Day & Boarding School