Havergal College is a pre-eminent Canadian independent school for girls from JK to Grade 12. We are seeking an innovative, enthusiastic, and dedicated individual to join our faculty and staff as the Head of Boarding.
The Head of Boarding School implements and evaluates strategic and operational goals that directly align with the school’s strategic plan. Working closely with the VP School Life & Student Wellness, School Nurse, Guidance Department, Social Worker, Director Food Services, faculty, and other committed professionals, the Head of Boarding oversees a team of Boarding Dons to establish a safe and nurturing, home for students in Grades 9-12. Additionally, the successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to develop programmatic initiatives that promote the wellbeing, inclusivity, and safety of a diverse boarding school community of approximately 50 students. The Head of Boarding works closely with our Security and Facility Teams to ensure the boarding school environment is impeccably maintained and welcoming. The successful candidate will demonstrate an exceptional understanding of the developmental needs of high achieving adolescent girls.
• Provide a diverse, stimulating and engaging Boarding School Program, including evening programs, weekend activities, long weekend excursions, Junior Dons Student Leadership Program, special events and activities. Programmatic initiatives will be anchored in Havergal’s strategic plan that values wellbeing, teaching & learning, and student engagement.
• Develop, review and revise routines and protocols for tracking student academic progress including attendance, learning skills and habits, academic standing, and co-curricular and community engagement.
• In collaboration with VP School Life and Student Wellness, use the school’s model of progressive discipline to address student behavioural issues in making decisions regarding discipline-related issues.
• Develop, review, revise and implement a comprehensive Orientation Program for the Boarding School staff in August of each academic year.
• Coordinate and supervise residential staff through clear and equitable schedules for weekdays and weekends, supervision duties, program responsibilities, on calls, etc.
• Complete regular staff performance reviews.
• Establish and maintain professional, pro-active, effective and problem-solving relationships with relevant constituents within the school to support Boarding School student learning and development and Boarding School staff professional growth and performance.
• Oversee and assist with all student legal documentation, such as Visas, health insurance and passports.
• Develop an annual Boarding School budget and be a prudent fiscal manager of the budget tracking all expenses and billing in a timely fashion.
• Working with the Director of Risk Management, carry out risk-mitigation out assessments in order to ensure that all matters related to the safety, welfare and security of boarders are fully met.
• Be familiar with, and develop further, a working knowledge of relevant legislation that affects students.
• Manage a crisis plan for Boarders and Boarding staff.
• Oversee Health and Safety standards and requirements within the Boarding School.
• Act as a member of the Emergency Response Team.
• Ensure Boarding School facilities are clean, safe and functional through daily inspections and proactive requests to maintenance for improvements and/or repairs as needed.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
• Bachelors degree, preferably a Masters in education, social work, nursing or outdoor education.
• Experience working with risk and health and safety guidelines.
• Oversee the safeguarding, discipline and pastoral care of all boarders.
• Strong inter-personal skills – approachable and open.
• Understanding of the unique aspects of leading in an independent educational institution.
• Knowledge of adolescent development.
• An ability to engage, manage and develop teams.
• Knowledge of social/emotional support structures available in the City of Toronto.
• Exceptional communication, written and oral, time-management and prioritization skills.
• Technological skills that demonstrate comfort with word processing, database searches, and electronic communication.
• An ability to be judicious and prudent in choosing actions that are flexible or firm depending on circumstances.
• Flexibility with working hours and the ability to live on-site required.
Employment and Application Details
Our faculty and staff are the competitive advantage at Havergal College. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Qualified and interested candidates should apply by September 25, 2019 in confidence to email@example.com and include in the subject heading “Head of Boarding”.
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls please. For more information, please visit www.havergal.on.ca.
Havergal College is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodations please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6605 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.