Since 1852, under the direction of the Basilian Fathers, St. Michael's College School has been educating young men in goodness, discipline, and knowledge for lives of leadership and service, and forming them in faith to present the face of Jesus Christ to a world that is in need of his grace and his peace.
We are Canada's only Catholic, Basilian, faith-based independent school. We educate young men from Grades 7 to 12 in a university-preparatory programme. Our scholastic environment for all boys is well designed and suited to their particular strengths, aptitudes, and needs. It provides a unique learning and growing experience during which a boy develops the framework of his character and builds the foundation for his life as a man.
In graduating young men who change the world through lives of faith, character, and service,
St. Michael's College School brings integrity, unity, and healing to a fractured and uncertain world.
Whatever the role at St. Michael's College School, it is more than a job – it is joining a community of likeminded colleagues who embrace the school's values and deliver those values in everything that they do.
Working in a team setting, the Safe Officer is a key contributor to the ongoing commitment to safety and well-being of students, employees and visitors to the School.
Reports to: Head of Security
Position: Full-time position; this position follows the academic schedule
Each academic year, start on or about August 15 working through to last Thursday in June
Monday to Friday; some evening and weekend work may be required.
7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Rate of Pay: Salary range from $45,000 to $50,000 per year.
Remuneration includes a comprehensive benefit package and access to participate in the organization's defined contribution pension programme.
- Secures premises and personnel by patrolling property; monitoring surveillance equipment; inspecting buildings, equipment, and access points; permitting entry.
- Prevents losses and damage by reporting irregularities; informing violators of policy and procedures; restraining trespassers.
- Completes reports by recording observations, information, occurrences, and surveillance activities;
- Respond to emergency and non-emergency situations, including building evacuation, threats of violence, trespass concerns
- Controls traffic by directing drivers - Enforce parking policies;
- Perform security checks, either with patrols, or using security cameras
- Provides friendly and informed responses to inquiries
- Provides crowd control as needed (events, meetings, theatre productions, etc.)
- Provide First Aid and CPR when needed
- Follows all policies and procedures
- Documents security related issues and assistance provided in logs
- Complete notes and reports to ensure accuracy of information
Security Officer Skills and Qualifications:
Lifting, Surveillance Skills, Deals with Uncertainty, Judgment, Objectivity, Dependability, Emotional Control, Integrity, Safety Management, Professionalism, Reporting Skills
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality in all interactions
- Availability to work flexible hours (evenings, weekends) as determined, planned in advance
- Adhere to established processes and procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of Security, or his designate
What you bring to this role:
- A commitment to the vocation of Catholic education as it is embodied in the tradition of the Basilian Fathers and in the mission and vision of St. Michael's College School;
- Licence under the Private Security and Investigative Services Acts
- First Aid/CPR Certificate
- Experience working with youth is an asset
- Minimum 5 years experience working in security
- Excellent customer service skills
- Reliable, calm in an emergency, and uses good judgement
- Able to cope with various physical demands of work
- Motivated team player, and can work with minimal supervision
- Valid Ontario Driver's licence is an asset
How to apply:
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at
St. Michael's College School by email to email@example.com indicating "Safe Officer" in the subject line.
Deadline for this application process is Monday, September 23, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
We thank all candidates in advance. However, we will contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls or agencies, please.
To work at St. Michael's College School, all employees must provide a Police Vulnerable Sector check and review and complete the Child Protection Policy Questionnaire. Please click here for more information.
St. Michael's College School will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.
The Leader in Catholic Boys' Education