Part-Time Swim Instructor/Lifeguard – Athletics and Wellness Centre
Employment Terms: Part-Time, 1-year contract
Start Date: September, 2019
Branksome Hall, a leading independent International Baccalaureate (IB) World School for girls challenges and inspires girls to love learning and shape a better world. Through the unique combination of wellbeing, outstanding academics and international mindedness, Branksome Hall students and employees become impactful leaders. With our values of Sense of Community, Inclusiveness, Creativity and Making a Difference as a foundation, Branksome Hall offers a strong liberal arts curriculum that develops critical thinking and inquiry skills.
For the 2019-20 academic year, we are seeking part-time (4-16 hours/week) Swim Instructor/Lifeguards to work in the Athletic and Wellness Centre on the weekends. Shifts will be between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. As a member of the Athletics and Wellness team, the successful candidates will support the community swim program for children.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- The Swim Instructor/Lifeguard is responsible for the safety of all swimmers using the Athletics and Wellness Centre’s swimming pools;
- Provides instructional swimming lessons to various age groups following established curriculum;
- Plans, organizes and implements lesson plans and evaluations;
- Maintain direct contact with swimmers and communicate with them in an effective manner;
- The Swim Instructor/Lifeguard performs the very important task of being a first responder in case of an emergency and providing First Aid as needed throughout the pool area;
- Monitor designated pool areas and responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the pool deck area, change rooms and shower areas including picking up equipment and storing it in its proper place, picking up towels and debris, restocking towels, straightening chairs, etc.;
- The Swim Instructor/Lifeguard also performs maintenance and related work, as required;
- Conducts facility inspections, completes opening and closing checklists, daily scheduled chemical tests and advises supervisor of any concerns found.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Applicants hold current National Lifeguard certification, Standard First Aid & CPR ‘C’ with AED (issued from Lifesaving Society, Canadian Red Cross, St John’s Ambulance, or Canadian Ski Patrol), and Red Cross Water Safety Instructor or Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor certifications;
- Previous experience as a Lifeguard as well as a minimum of one year experience instructing the Red Cross Swim Program; experience working with children is an asset.
- Must possess sound knowledge of the rules and regulation governing safety in an indoor pool facility;
- Knowledge and practice of Lifesaving, Lifeguarding, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and First Aid;
- Demonstrated ability to handle a variety of service situations in a busy aquatic facility;
- Candidates must have the ability to make decisions in an emergency situation;
- Pool Operator Certification is an asset.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in an opportunity to contribute to a dynamic organization, please apply by September 3, 2019. This posting will remain active until these positions are filled.
Branksome Hall is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates engaging in all parts of the recruitment and selection process at Branksome Hall.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about Branksome Hall, please visit http://www.branksome.on.ca