Employment Terms: LTO, 4/6 teaching workload
Start Date: August 2019 to December 2019
Founded in 1829, Upper Canada College is a leading independent school for boys SK- Grade 12, located in the heart of Toronto. The College presents a rigorous, liberal education through the International Baccalaureate Programme and broad co-curricular opportunities to engage students, faculty and staff. Our students are motivated and supported by a well-resourced, exceptional faculty, who bring a diversity of experience to an exemplary professional learning community.
We are currently seeking a dynamic and passionate Physics Teacher for our Upper School Science Department to teach primarily Physics and Science.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated success in teaching, an understanding of and sensitivity to the way in which boys learn, and the ability to work in a collegial manner. In addition, they will be up-to-date on current curricular trends, tech-savvy and involved in education beyond the classroom.
- Prepare course objectives, lesson plans and outline for course of study, following the Ontario Ministry of Education curriculum and International Baccalaureate MYP guidelines, and delivers program;
- Create and administers exams to evaluate students’ progress, records results, and issues reports on progress;
- Employ classroom management practices including establishing and enforcing student expectations, with basic disciplinary strategies for the creation of an effective teaching and learning environment;
- Communicate regularly on student progress;
- Use technology in the classroom to enhance learning;
- Keep up-to-date with developments in subject area, teaching resources and strategies and makes relevant changes to instructional plans and activities;
- Participate in faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, assemblies and various professional development opportunities.
- Being an effective link between the school and parents on both academic and non-academic matters by carrying out the duties of an Adviser;
- Meeting with advisees during twice-weekly advising sessions and delivering the advising curriculum;
- Writing advising comments on reports and communicate formally and informally with parents of advisees in person, e-mail and via telephone;
- Provide direction and support for advisees.
Key Experience, Knowledge and Competencies:
- Comprehensive knowledge of general Science as demonstrated by a minimum of a Bachelor degree in Science and a Bachelor of Education with Science teachable(s);
- A Masters in Science is an asset;
- Degree in Physics is preferred;
- Experience teaching Science and Physics at the secondary level is a definite asset;
- Experience teaching the International Baccalaureate MYP Science an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to employ a wide variety of teaching techniques including utilization of technology;
- A collaborative, energetic teacher with demonstrated creativity and passion for teaching;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop strong professional relationships with students, colleagues, administration and parents;
- Exemplary communication, problem-solving, negotiation and mediation skills;
- Concern for the whole student, not just academics;
- Effective team member;
- Strong attention to detail, organization and planning;
- Invests in personal development and strives to grow professionally;
- Exhibits a growth mindset and is adaptable;
- Ability to recognize individual learning styles and the characteristics of learners and to differentiate instruction accordingly.
Please apply online by creating a “Teachers” profile account by Friday July 19, 2019. We thank all candidates in advance; however, will contact only those selected for an interview.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value diversity, encouraging applicants from all qualified individuals. If you are contacted by UCC regarding a job opportunity, please advise us if you require any accommodations.
To learn more about us please visit our site at www.ucc.on.ca