Havergal College is a pre-eminent Canadian independent school for girls from JK to Grade 12. The Senior School (Grades 9 to 12) consists of Boarding and Day students. We are seeking an innovative, enthusiastic, and dedicated individual to join our faculty and staff as the Boarding School Residential Don. This is a full-time, one-year contract with the option to renew.
The role of Boarding School Don is to be a knowledgeable and trustworthy ambassador for the school. The Boarding School Don is an approachable, attentive, reliable, supportive and understanding member of the Boarding School community who is enthusiastically engaged in the life of the school. The Boarding School Don lives in residence during the school session and must be able to commit to working a fixed schedule of evenings and weekends.
As a Boarding School Don, you possess a keen interest in working with adolescent girls. You demonstrate an energetic, enthusiastic and flexible approach to your role. While living on campus during the school year, you are responsible for the safety & well-being of a small group of 12 – 15 girls – a family - in the Boarding School. You oversee the development of the individual students in your family by knowing each girl as a unique individual - her strengths and her challenges. You are a contact for international and local parents of Boarding School students and this includes providing information regarding a student’s academic progress, engagement in school life, and her social/emotional well-being.
Operationally, the five Boarding School Dons support the Head of Boarding School to oversee and manage a supportive and stimulating Boarding School program that contributes to a dynamic and stimulating residential life program. This program is designed to develop skills, create opportunities for social engagement, and promotes healthy active living and social /emotional well-being. The team creates a secure, clean and comfortable Boarding School “home away from home” environment. This requires the development of a collaborative working relationship with Boarding School staff as well as all departments within the school and other independent schools in the city of Toronto.
As a Boarding Don, you have the opportunity to use your credentials and experience to better the school as a whole. Dons with teaching qualifications will have the opportunity to serve as an on-call teacher and may be provided with a teaching section depending on overall staffing. Individuals with mental health qualifications may participate on the school’s Student Support Team. Sharing a second skill/knowledge in fields such as athletics, visual, dramatic and musical arts or outdoor education is essential in all candidates. As a life-long learner, candidates will demonstrate a commitment to actively seeking professional development and participate actively in the life of the school. An adventurous spirit is welcome.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
In order to be considered for this position, candidates will possess the following qualifications, knowledge, and experience:
• Relevant educational qualifications (e.g. Bachelor of Education, Bachelor of Social Work, Child and Youth Worker Diploma, Bachelor of Nursing, Bachelor of Outdoor Education, etc.);
• A Bachelor of Education with specialization in Science and/or Mathematics is an asset;
• National Life Saving certificate is an asset;
• Second language skills is an asset;
• A minimum of 2 years working experience preferably in an educational or related field
• Independent school experience is an asset;
• Understanding of the unique aspects of leading in an independent educational institution;
• Knowledge of current trends in education and researched best practice supporting the development of adolescent girls and young women;
• Knowledge of adolescent development and the unique needs of each age/stage;
• An ability to engage, inspire, manage and develop people;
• A willingness to be flexible and adaptable;
• Exceptional time-management and prioritization skills;
• Exceptional communication skills – written and oral;
• Strong inter-personal skills – approachable and open;
• Problem-solving ability;
• Technological skills that demonstrate comfort with word processing, database searches, and electronic communication;
• An ability to be judicious in choosing actions that support school policies & procedures in ways that foster student learning and accountability;
• Well-developed professional judgment; and
• An ability and willingness to work with a flexible schedule when required.
Employment and Application Details
The appointment is effective September 2019 (orientation starting August 19, 2019). Our faculty and staff are the competitive advantage at Havergal College. We offer competitive compensation, including participation in the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, where applicable, and generous support for professional, educational and leadership development. Qualified and interested candidates should submit a letter of application and resume by June 25, 2019 to: Human Resources, Havergal College, 1451 Avenue Road, Toronto, Ontario, M5N 2H9 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Boarding Don” in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls please.
For more information, please visit www.havergal.on.ca.
Havergal College is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodations please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6605 or by email at email@example.com.