Since 1852, under the direction of the Basilian Fathers, St. Michael’s College School has been educating young men in goodness, discipline, and knowledge for lives of leadership and service, and forming them in faith to present the face of Jesus Christ to a world that is in need of his grace and his peace.
We are Canada’s only Catholic, Basilian, faith-based independent school. We educate young men from Grades 7 to 12 in a university-preparatory programme. Our scholastic environment for all boys is well designed and suited to their particular strengths, aptitudes, and needs. It provides a unique learning and growing experience during which a boy develops the framework of his character and builds the foundation for his life as a man.
In graduating young men who change the world through lives of faith, character, and service,
St. Michael’s College School brings integrity, unity, and healing to a fractured and uncertain world.
Whatever the role at St. Michael’s College School, it is more than a job – it is joining a community of likeminded colleagues who embrace the school’s values and deliver those values in everything that they do.
St. Michael’s College School is seeking an organized, skilled, and self-motivating individual to perform the role of a Plant Operator. Working as a member of the Facilities Department, this position is responsible for varied duties that include (but are not limited to); completing general (handy man) repairs, minor improvements, and typical maintenance tasks throughout the school campus, grounds maintenance, ensuring the proper operation of the building systems (HVAC, sprinkler, electrical, etc.), ensuring the building is locked and secure, and when required to act a first point of contact to guests, and the St. Michael’s College School Community.
Start Date: As soon as possible
Reports to: Senior Building Operator
Internal Contacts: All members of the St. Michael’s College School community.
External Contacts: Various businesses, suppliers, visitors, and general public.
Hours of Employment: Based on a 40 hour work week – this position will include evening and weekend shifts.
Rate of Pay: Salary is commensurate with experience. Remuneration includes a comprehensive benefit package and company defined contribution pension programme.
Repairs, Improvements, and Maintenance:
- Snow removal and salting of entrances, exterior stairs, sidewalks and parking areas.
- Assist in grounds maintenance that includes, but is not limited to: lawn and garden maintenance, repair of soccer nets, leaf pick-up, and exterior garbage pick-up throughout the campus.
- General facility operations through troubleshooting issues such as tripped breakers, temperature concerns (too hot or cold within a classroom), a natural gas smell in the kitchen, etc. and resolve/escalate as appropriate based on the situation.
- Deal with emergency situations, medical, fire alarms, power outages, school lockdown procedures, etc. Ensure policies and procedures and followed accordingly (i.e. escalate the situation and call supervisor when required).
- Perform minor repairs, improvements, and maintenance as required throughout the campus including items ranging from repairing broken desks and hanging pictures to the building of small items for the school and performing minor equipment maintenance.
- Maintain audio-visual equipment in gymnasium, stadium, and lecture hall.
- Cleaning of vans, check fluid levels and refill as needed (i.e. washer fluid, oil, gas, tire pressure).
- Assist with parking for special events.
- Accompany and assist contractors and vendors, as required
Building System Operations:
- Ensure door and lighting schedules correctly function.
- Monitor and ensure all building systems; plumbing, HVAC, BAS, electrical, etc. are functioning properly and safely at all times during shift and take action as required to escalate/resolve any system issues as appropriate.
- Complete daily log sheets, task lists, and other paperwork as required ensuring proper operation of department and school campus.
- Working with the Security Department, assist with campus security as needed.
- Open and close procedures (unlocking and locking of appropriate areas).
- Provide information and assistance to guests as required.
- Provide assistance to Arena and Centre for the Arts staff.
Other duties as assigned
What you bring to this role:
- Post-secondary education and/or the appropriate level of experience in a field relevant to the position
- Willingness and ability to work at heights, in confined spaces, and lift 20kg
- First Aid training, including CPR
- Strong organizational skills
- The consistently demonstrated ability to work independently and achieve the desired results
- Willingness and ability to work evenings and weekends
Performance Competencies and Criteria:
- Maintain a professional image
- Efficient organization to ensure all tasks are completed in an efficient and timely manner
- Responsive and considerate to client needs
- Ethical consideration and a consistent display of integrity in all duties
- An understanding and commitment to the delivery of a Catholic, liberal arts education, to young men in Grades 7-12
How to apply:
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at St. Michael’s College School by email to email@example.com indicating “Plant Operator” in the subject line.
Deadline for this application process is Friday, May 31, 2019.
We thank all candidates in advance. However, we will contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls or agencies, please.
To work at St. Michael's College School, all employees must provide a Police Vulnerable Sector check and review and complete the Child Protection Policy Questionnaire. Please click here for more information.
St. Michael's College School will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.
The Leader in Catholic Boys’ Education