Learning Commons Librarian
Founded in 1962, Bayview Glen is an independent, co-educational university preparatory school and member of the CIS, CAIS and Round Square organizations. Our students are challenged to participate at their optimum level, balancing rigorous academic schedules with a wide range of sports, special interest clubs, community service activities and spirited school events.
Bayview Glen is currently looking for a full-time Learning Commons Librarian for our Prep and Upper Schools, commencing in August 2019. The Learning Commons Librarian provides leadership and expertise in changing the information landscape and creating a dynamic hub of learning, technology and collaboration. This position empowers students from Grade 6 to 12 to increase literacy skills and become enthusiastic readers, lifelong learners, critical thinkers, skillful researchers and ethical users of information.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develops and maintains resources appropriate to the curriculum, the learners and the teaching styles and instructional strategies used within the school community. Organizes the resources for maximum and effective use;
• Evaluates, promotes and uses existing and emerging technologies to support teaching, learning and research to connect the school with its global perspective audience;
• Supports students’ success by:
o Embracing the world of information and all its formats
o Promoting reading for exposure to diversity of viewpoints and genres and for pleasure
o Building on prior knowledge and constructing new knowledge
o Working with peers to successfully collaborate for learning
• Collaborates with classroom teachers and specialists to help design and enhance lessons and units of instruction;
• Creates an information and technology-rich environment and provides the leadership and expertise necessary to ensure that the School’s Learning Commons is aligned with an innovative and entrepreneurial mindset.
Qualifications & Skills
• Master of Library and Information Science or equivalent;
• 3 to 5 years direct experience in a Learning Commons within a Community or Educational Institution;
• Visionary who understands the changing information landscape;
• Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills;
• Demonstrated passion for literacy among students aged twelve and above;
• Ability to create partnerships and alliances to enhance learning;
• Willingness and enthusiasm towards participating in the co-curricular program and school community;
Bayview Glen offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefit and pension plan and a collegial work environment dedicated to the professional development of all staff.
We invite all qualified candidates to submit a cover letter and resume, combined in one document, to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than April 18, 2019. Please indicate the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for your interest; however only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries or agencies please.
Bayview Glen is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate any needs under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Please contact our Human Resources Department for assistance if required.