Teaching Assistant, Prep
Employment Terms: F/T, 2-Year Contract
Start Date: August 2019
Founded in 1829, Upper Canada College is a leading independent school for boys SK- Grade 12, located in the heart of Toronto. The College presents a rigorous, liberal education through the International Baccalaureate Programme and broad co-curricular opportunities to engage students, faculty and staff. Our students are motivated and supported by a well-resourced, exceptional faculty, who bring a diversity of experience to an exemplary professional learning community.
The Prep School at UCC is inviting applications for a dynamic Prep Teaching Assistant (TA). The UCC TA program is a wonderful opportunity for new teachers to develop experience in the classroom, be mentored by outstanding seasoned faculty members, and have phenomenal exposure to a top quality educational experience. The successful candidate will provide classroom support to SK-Year 7 classrooms. S/he may also provide supply coverage to Prep teachers. A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with teachers and students is essential, as is a willingness to participate in the full co-curricular program of the school, including athletic coaching.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Settle students, and participate, during lesson times;
- Support students individually or in small groups;
- Assist Teachers, as required, with marking, preparing materials, etc;
- Participate in faculty and professional meetings, assemblies and various professional development opportunities;
- Perform supervision duties;
- Maintain an organized storage / workroom;
- Assist with bulletin board displays;
- Assist Head of the Prep with department priorities (planning events, assemblies, photography, etc.);
- On call substitute teacher;
- Assist with field trips;
- Coach athletics and/or become involved in co-curricular arts, activities or clubs;
- Assist with parent-teacher conferences, parent info evenings, special events, etc.
Knowledge, Competencies and Experience:
- Bachelor of Education required;
- Displays enthusiasm and participates fully in the UCC community;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop strong professional relationships with students, colleagues, administration and parents;
- Collaborative team member;
- Exemplary communication, organizational and problem solving skills;
- Ability to recognize individual learning styles and the characteristics of learners;
- Invests in personal development and strives to grow professionally;
- Highly accountable with strong follow through on commitments;
- Exhibits a high level of perseverance, initiative and adaptability;
- Displays creativity and innovation both in and out of the classroom;
- Understanding of and commitment to, boys;
- Experience and training in the teaching of literacy, and special education, would be an asset.
Please apply online by creating a “Teachers” profile account by Tuesday April 23, 2019. We thank all candidates in advance; however, will contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls please.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value diversity, encouraging applicants from all qualified individuals. If you are contacted by UCC regarding a job opportunity, please advise us if you require any accommodations.
To learn more about us please visit our site at www.ucc.on.ca