Founded in 1913, Crescent is an independent school for boys from grades 3 - 12, located on a park-like 30 acre campus in midtown Toronto. Our students are encouraged to strive for excellence, and to develop their talents in the areas of academics, arts and athletics. Faculty and staff alike model Crescent’s core values of respect, responsibility, compassion and honesty as we foster the development of our graduates to men of character from boys of promise.
Crescent School invites applications for the following position beginning August 2019;
(3 days per week during the school year)
As a dynamic, engaging and qualified Social Worker, you will provide individual and group social-emotional counselling and services to children and adolescent boys, sometimes including their families, and make referrals to outside agencies as necessary. You will support the wellbeing of students and work with them to develop strategies that increase self-awareness, resiliency, and self-advocacy. In a workplace that is challenging, diverse, warm and fulfilling, your contribution will be valued by the entire community.
- Work in collaboration with the School administrators, faculty and Crescent Student Services team (Guidance and University Counsellors, Learning Support Specialists, and Nurse) regarding strategies and individual support for students
- Create a safe space for sensitive, vulnerable and confidential conversations
- Provide individual students therapeutic support by offering family counselling, assessing the social and emotional needs and developing customized solutions
- Provide crisis intervention and risk assessments for students, families and the school community
- Maintain case records and comply with mandated requirements of the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW)
- Deliver professional learning opportunities and educate staff in the areas of social, emotional and academic needs of students
- Champion student wellbeing initiatives including; workshops, discussion groups and opportunities with other independent schools on topics such as LGBTQ+, mental health and bullying
- Build and maintain a professional relationship with CIS school social workers to discuss current trends, consult on issues or difficult cases, and provide support in times of crisis
The successful candidate will have:
- A Masters of Social Work (MSW) plus at least 5 years of experience counselling youth, or equivalent in experience and education
- A membership in good standing of the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW) and is a Registered Social Worker (RSW)
- A deep understanding and a commitment to follow legislative requirements, including the requirements set by the Children’s Aid Society
- Strong communication skills and the ability to maintain control of emotions during difficult conversations and volatile crisis situations
- A growth mindset, curiosity and willingness to accept new perspectives
- Compassion, and a desire to cultivate courage and nurture connection
- Passion as a team player and contribute to a coaching culture of growth and flourishing
- A burning desire to become fully immersed in the School’s positive and progressive culture
Crescent School offers an excellent working environment and a competitive compensation and benefits package, including the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan for those who qualify. If you exude passion, creativity, commitment, courage and fun, you will make an impact here! Please apply online at crescent.simplication.com by creating a ‘Management and Professionals’ account and uploading your letter of application and resume by Thursday, April 25, 2019.
Accommodation for job applicants with disabilities is available upon request.
For further information about Crescent School and employment opportunities please visit our website at www.crescentschool.org . We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply. We thank all candidates in advance; only those being offered an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.