Appleby College Outdoor Education Program has the following opportunities available:
Canoe Guide – ESL Temagami
Time Frame: July 17-Aug 4, 2019
Rabbitnose Island, Temagami Ontario
Appleby’s Outdoor Education program has been providing outdoor fun and adventure for our students for over 45 years. The program is designed to safely introduce our students to the idea of “living” outdoors in the Canadian wilderness. Each season provides opportunities and challenges that are different from the last. Our focus is placed on experiences that lead to personal growth and character development. Our understanding staff help to guide our students through enriching experiences that allow each individual to develop long-lasting attributes. These qualities include responsibility, confidence, integrity, resilience, and the ability to work with others; all of which, we feel, contribute to the growth of one’s person.
Again this year, we have extended our academic-year program to include a variety of summer experiences. The newest being the addition of a one-week canoe experience for our summer ESL students.
The program begins at our Oakville Campus, where ESL students spend valuable time with our instructors getting acquainted and prepared for their trip to Rabbitnose Island, the location of our Outdoor Education centre. The group will then travel north via coach to Lake Temagami, approximately 500km north of Toronto. Once at the Lake, students and staff will be barged to Rabbitnose, which is situated on the North Arm of the extremely picturesque Lake Temagami. Time is spent at the island developing skills necessary for a three-day two-night canoe trip. The region provides our students with some of Ontario’s most pristine wilderness - ideal for exploring and canoe tripping. Rabbitnose is home to our Main Lodge; constructed over 8o years ago, it provides our students with a true taste of the area’s rich history. Cabins for students and staff, the “trip-shed” (equipment storage), activity centres, boathouse, and sauna complete the list of buildings on the property.
It is our belief that we all need to spend more time outside.
It is our belief that life should be more fun.
It is our belief that everyone should experience Temagami in a canoe.
- Co-lead a group of ESL students through a week-long, canoe-trip focused outdoor experience
- Transfer knowledge of essential outdoor skills including canoeing, and camping while emphasizing teamwork and trust
- Instruct and lead specialized activities with students
- Follow and ensure Outdoor Education procedures and policies are adhered to at all times to include Appleby’s Mutual Respect Policy
- Manage and problem solve issues with students and other staff
- Ensure the safety and supervision of all students and staff
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experienced outdoor guide, trained in all aspects of out-tripping
- Proven excellence in instructional abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Additional language skills an asset (Chinese, Mandarin, Korean and/or Japanese)
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Team oriented, motivational and creative
- Energetic and enthusiastic
- Empathetic and patient
- Demonstrates effective problem solving skills
- Current holder of Wilderness Advanced First Aider (WAFA) or Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification
- Current CPR
- Current Bronze Cross and/or NLS certification
- Current Boat Licence (Pleasure Craft Operator) is an asset
- Have knowledge of (or have the ability to achieve) high level certification in canoeing: ORCKA certifications and/or Paddle Canada certifications in basic Canoeing/flat-water
Items to know:
- Specific dates –
- July 17 – 22 Staff Training Trip, Rabbitnose Island, Temagami Ontario
- July 22 – 27 ESL trip 1
- July 28 OFF (potential work for interested parties)
- July 29 – July 30 prep days
- July 30 - Aug 4 ESL trip 2
- Lodging included – all dietary restrictions accommodated
- Rate of pay – range $175 and up (reduction on travel days)
Appleby College Outdoor Education provide the highest quality of instruction to students in safe, risk-managed environments. Compensation is dependent on experience and qualifications.
Please apply online by April 26, 2019 to:
Human Resources, Appleby College
Web site: www.appleby.on.ca
While all applicants are thanked for their interest, only those chosen for interviews will be contacted. As a condition of employment, a criminal record check is required.