Trafalgar Castle School is an all-girls day and boarding school situated in Whitby, Ontario. We’ve been around a long time (est. 1874) and may be small in size but we’re big in heart and even bigger when it comes to bold ideas.
We’re looking for a Director of Advancement. The title might be standard but the challenge isn’t. This is an opportunity to build a department from the ground up – to create a new vision, to plan strategically, to think outside the box, and to encourage your team to rise to new heights alongside you.
We believe in investing in and supporting our staff, and hope to find that special someone who wants to learn and is open to making a career at our beautiful Castle. We need someone who is driven, who sets his or her eye on the prize and goes for it, but who does so with an understanding of and respect for our mission, vision and values.
You’ll report to the Head of School and be an important member of our management team.
Here is an outline of what you’ll do:
- Establish an Advancement office based on industry best-practices while boldly incorporating new ways of thinking.
- Engage our community in thinking bigger about philanthropy – both in terms of gifts and the culture.
- Strengthen community engagement and build authentic relationships.
- Work with the Head of School and senior management team to develop fundraising priorities and make the case for them to donors.
- Grow the Annual Fund and broaden our community of donors.
- Plan spectacular events that appeal to alumnae, young and not so young.
- Make sure everyone in our community knows you and knows how much they are valued.
Here are the skills and attributes you need to have:
- A post-secondary degree or diploma.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in Advancement.
- The ability to tell a story and captivate a room.
- Written communication skills that grab the reader and make them hungry for more.
- Financial acumen – you know how to forecast, plan and analyse (and value the wisdom of CRA guidelines).
- Active listening skills that make other people feel they are important (because they are).
- A competitive spirit. You aim high and like to succeed.
- An innate ability and/or effective strategies to stay organized. You plan your work and work your plan.
- A love of collaboration and shared problem-solving. We believe the smartest person in the room, is the room. Teamwork is important to us, so that’s a non-negotiable.
- A belief in nurturing and mentoring anyone who reports to you – that’s part of who we are as an organization.
- A passion for learning and a thirst for feedback – there’s sure to be lots of both.
- Respect for everyone in the workplace. We believe no job is beneath any of us and that everyone deserves patience, kindness and a morning smile.
- A sense of humour is imperative – you’ll know why when you get here.
- Hobbies, interests, things you enjoy – we want you to have a life outside of work.
- If you already know Raiser’s Edge, that’s a good thing, too!
Here’s what we offer:
- The opportunity to shape and build a program
- A competitive salary
- A comprehensive benefits package and retirement plan
- Excellent professional development opportunities
- Opportunity for future advancement
- Really great colleagues who do fun things together
- A welcoming and vibrant school community
- Start date of August 2019
If you think you’re the right person for the job, please send a covering letter and resume by April 30, 2019 to:
Peggy Watt, Human Resources Manager
Trafalgar Castle School
401 Reynolds Street, Whitby, ON L1N 3W9
Trafalgar Castle School thanks all interested candidates, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Trafalgar Castle School is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any stage during the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources so that we may work with you to meet your needs.
As a condition of employment, successful candidates will be required to submit a current original Vulnerable Sector Screening from the police jurisdiction in which they reside prior to commencing employment.
For further information, please visit us online at: www.trafalgarcastle.ca.