Associate Director, University Counselling
Internal & External Posting (Permanent Full-Time)
Commencing September 2019
The York School is a not-for-profit co-educational, independent day school, located in the heart of Toronto, renowned for its challenging academic International Baccalaureate (IB) programme and commitment to experiential learning. Our highly trained faculty receive support and training to be leading professionals in their fields and in the IB Curriculum, using cutting-edge classroom technology.
What sets us apart from other schools is that our tradition is innovation. We welcome applicants who are like us – dynamic and innovative, collaborative, progressive and globally-minded. The York School offers an inclusive culture and values creativity, individuality and new ideas.
The Associate Director, University Counselling works closely with faculty, students, and the wellness support team to deliver a comprehensive and integrated program to support our students and guide them as they make choices regarding their postsecondary future.
Our process engages students throughout their high school years and is designed to align each student’s strengths and interests with personalized academic planning and post-secondary placement. Reporting to the Director of University Counselling, the position requires a highly organized and knowledgeable person to ensure that our students are prepared, informed, advised and supported throughout their high school years.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- To develop, in collaboration with other departmental experts, a strong, contemporary post-secondary counselling program that develops student research skills, decision-making skills and independence for post-secondary study.
- To expertly advise, support and coach students and their families during the university search and admissions process, including supplemental applications and interview preparation
- Will provide academic course selection counselling and advisement that aligns with the student’s goals and university placement planning.
- Is articulate, confident and accurate when communicating trends, application procedures and testing requirements to students, their families and the school.
- Has admissions experience and expertise of procedures for placement of students into Canadian, American, European, British, and Australian post-secondary institutions.
- Is familiar with the IB Diploma program.
- Provides training and support to faculty in the preparation of compelling letters of recommendation
- Establishes relationships and liaises with university admissions offices as a professional, articulate advocate of The York School and the IB Diploma Programme
- Oversees the administration of the most current online technology for application processes through OUAC, UCAS, Common App., Naviance and Bridge-U.
- Consults and works with teachers in championing students’ learning and co-curricular records by fostering strategies for success for both students and teachers
- Counsels student individually and in groups with the ability to engage in problem-solving and coaching to develop executive functioning skills
- Builds meaningful relationships with students and their families
- Reads, interprets, communicates and implements IEPs in order to ensure academic support and accommodations exist where required including both the classroom and for standardized testing (PSAT, SAT, ACT) in collaboration with the Learning Resource Teachers.
- Monitors and reviews student achievement during the reporting cycles
- Resolves course change requests timetable changes
- Other related responsibilities as required
- Ontario Teaching Certificate and Guidance Specialist or equivalent university admissions experience
- Minimum 10 years work experience in an academic counselling or post-secondary admissions office specializing in post-secondary planning/counseling including international admissions
- Expertise in Canadian, American, British and other international locations admissions requirements and processes
- Solid understanding of and extensive experience working with Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) Ontario Student Records (OSR) and Ontario Student Transcript (OST) requirements
- Strong expertise and experience working with Naviance, OUAC, UCAS, Common Application, Electronic Information and Scholarships
- Understanding of the developmental, social/emotional and educational needs of senior school students
- Strong technology background in supporting effective communication in a laptop environment as well as an understanding of adolescent interactions with technology and social media
- A demonstrated passion for innovation and creativity in education
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, multi-task, adapt to change and work under pressure in an educational setting
- Strong innovative thinking, problem solving and organizational skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the proven ability to develop relationships and a caring rapport with students and their families and teachers
- Commitment to participate as a collaborative member in all aspects of the department, school and in school life
- Passion and desire to continually learn about the changing dynamic landscape of post-secondary education
- Positive sense of humour and optimistic outlook on the potential in everyone.
Join Our Community
Employees at The York School are inquiring, knowledgeable, caring and engaged citizens of the world. Leaders in their field, they are collaborative, open to change and committed to improving lives through education. We are committed to professional development, and provide a competitive compensation and benefit package to our employees.
Accessibility & Equal Opportunity at The York School
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Upon request, we will accommodate individual needs for applicants with disabilities within our recruitment process.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by submitting their resume and cover letter in one document to the email firstname.lastname@example.org by March 25, 2019. Please make sure to quote the Job Title in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.