The Bishop Strachan School (“BSS”) is an undisputed leader in girls’ education. It is within this dynamic, creative and nurturing setting that girls acquire the academic tools, the life skills and the personal confidence to become tomorrow’s leaders. BSS is a leading-edge, year-round, day and boarding school for girls, located in mid-town Toronto, with a student population of 900 JK to Grade 12 students. BSS prepares its students to meet the challenges of tomorrow’s world by focusing on the whole girl – her development in academics, athletics and the arts, as well as her emotional, spiritual and physical well-being. At BSS, girls are given the space, the encouragement and the tools to pursue all of their dreams.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidate to fill the position of:
One Year Contract Commencing August 2019
Dean of Boarding
Indirectly Reports to:
Assistant Dean of Boarding
Boarding Program Co-ordinators
Student Services Counselors
Summary of Position:
The Boarding Advisor assists the Boarding Program Co-ordinators in providing a safe, healthy, and supportive environment for all girls in our Boarding community. She is responsible for leading a small family group of girls as well as participating in routine supervision of all boarders in conjunction with other Boarding staff. She is expected to care for all boarders in the program in accordance with the BSS Code of Conduct, the Boarding Handbook, and the school’s vision, mission and values.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Assists the Boarding Program Co-ordinators to ensure the health, safety and welfare of all boarders. This includes carrying out shifts in the Boarding office, updating daily logs and reports, executing various safety, social, and attendance rounds as assigned, supervising meals, assisting with the evening study program, administering basic first aid and occasionally escorting students to medical clinics and the hospital
- Assists with the planning of various creative experiences and outings for the boarders including weekend activities, start-of-year orientation, and special events
- Determines safety of student leaves, within the leave protocols and the Boarding Handbook
- Leads, supervises, and promotes field trips, excursions and on-site activities for Boarding students (arts and crafts, culinary, cultural and educational experiences)
- Takes specific and comprehensive care of the girls assigned to her family group and communicates effectively with their parents, teachers, and Student Services counselors
- Ensures that the aims and objectives of the Boarding Program Curriculum are met
- Keeps the Dean of Boarding and the Boarding Program Co-ordinators fully informed of any issues relating to students or other matters in boarding
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of the school and the Boarding Program (as outlined in the Boarding Handbook)
- Works to engender a feeling of respect and trust between boarders and staff
- Intervenes in situations where the safety and well-being of the student is compromised
- Acts as a student advocate by protecting and promoting the right to privacy and confidentiality
- Active member of the defibrillator team, first responder to emergencies in the school and assists with regular Boarding Fire Drills in conjunction with other Boarding staff
- Participates in regular Professional Learning and contributes to the department’s body of knowledge
- Maintains professional accountability, responsibility and behavior
- Remains flexible and undertakes any other responsibilities, in a variety of circumstances, as may reasonably be required by the Dean of Boarding or the Boarding Program Co-ordinators
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- University degree/college diploma in Education, Child and Youth Studies, Social Work, or Kinesiology
- Relevant experience working with students from Grades 8 to 12 including living/working in a residential or overnight camping environment
- Understanding of the developmental stages of adolescent girls including their health and wellness needs
- Understanding of the importance of diversity in implementing an inclusive world-view
- Current Standard First Aid, CPR, Red Cross/LSS and NLS, safeTALK and ASSIST, Canfitpro Fitness Instructor certifications are an asset
- Understanding of the ethical framework that influences and maintains a healthy boarding community
- Proven leadership skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated empathetic approach and patient demeanor
- Demonstrated positive, enthusiastic approach to learning and engagement
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent judgment and decision-making ability
- Sense of humour and perspective
Terms and Conditions:
- The position begins August 19, 2019 and ends June 19, 2020 with an option for renewal for a second year.
- The position is a live-in position in a furnished apartment (suitable for one person only) within the Boarding school. Guests (including overnight guests) are not allowed when Boarding is in session due to the location of the apartment. The apartment and meals are provided as a taxable benefit. Pets are not permitted.
- The Boarding Advisor sleeps on-site when on duty (10 of the 14 days during each two-week period). The schedule, prepared by the Dean of Boarding, is composed of various day/evening/overnight and weekend shifts. Boarding Advisors must remain available for days and weekends as scheduled and for emergency on-call support as noted on the schedule. Some planning, parent contact, and school/Boarding events fall outside the standard schedule as do the start and end of year.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Boarding Advisor position in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school
and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca