Primary Years Program Co-ordinator/Assistant Head, Junior School
Employment Terms: 2 positions: 1 full-time, two-year contract; 1 full-time, permanent
Start Date: July, 2019
Branksome Hall, a leading independent International Baccalaureate (IB) World School for girls challenges and inspires girls to love learning and shape a better world. Through the unique combination of wellbeing, outstanding academics and international mindedness, Branksome Hall students and employees become impactful leaders. The school offers a strong liberal arts curriculum that develops critical thinking and inquiry skills. Our graduates are accepted by the leading universities in Canada and around the world.
Reporting to the Head, Junior School and a key member of the Academics Leadership Team, the PYP Co-ordinator / Assistant Head, Junior School, is a creative, inclusive and innovative educator. The incumbent is responsible for providing academic, curricular, and operational leadership within the Primary or Junior Division, including support for the written, taught, and assessed curriculum, alignment with the IB PYP requirements, program evaluations, timetabling, reporting and supervision of teacher evaluation. Together with the Head, Junior School, the PYP Co-ordinator/ Assistant Head will foster a sense of community within a supportive, diverse learning environment of globally-minded learners and leaders in the Junior School.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Provide leadership to Primary and Junior Division faculty, including setting goals and expectations, supporting high level performance, recognizing success and cultivating excellence and a strong team culture;
- Support the development of the written curriculum to meet the highest possible standard through shoulder-to-shoulder coaching and support to faculty in unit design;
- Provide guidance and feedback to faculty in preparation of report card;
- Support the implementation of best practice in assessment and reporting, ensuring the School meets the requirements of the IB for the PYP;
- Oversee the reporting and assessment communication system, including parent-teacher interviews and student-led conferencing in collaboration with the Head, Junior School;
- Coach faculty to ensure application of IB and OCT Standards and Practices, OCT Ethical Standards of the Teaching Profession, IB Approaches to Teaching and Learning and Branksome Hall Strategy;
- Support the innovative nature, intellectual rigour, breadth and depth of instruction and keep abreast of research and major developments in theory and practice of teaching and learning at PYP developmental levels, and in role-related areas;
- Support the identification and development of faculty growth;
- Assist with providing in-service to new faculty hires, participate in faculty evaluation process in collaboration with Division Leads and Head, Junior School and support Division Leads with goal setting and professional learning conversations;
- Collaborate in the creation of the school timetable and supervision duty schedule;
- Participate in identifying academic staffing needs and participate in faculty hiring with the Head, Junior School;
- Provide support to the Head, Junior School with issues of discipline and ensure the Code of Conduct is upheld for students within the Junior School;
- Liaise with and represent Branksome Hall with internal and external stakeholders including IB, CIS, CAIS, and other local independent schools;
- Assist in the contribution of articles for school publications and electronic communication, BH info for parents, presentations at parent information evenings.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Ontario Teacher’s Certificate or equivalent, Master’s level education preferred;
- 5-7 years’ directly related experience, including leadership experience in an academic environment;
- Knowledge and understanding of the IB-PYP required, IBEN preferred;
- Experience leading educators and coordinating/supporting operations;
- Knowledge of and demonstrated success in leading best practices in written, taught and assessed curriculum;
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and inspire educators;
- Ability to mentor and provide shoulder to shoulder coaching to educators;
- Ability to build rapport and credibility with a range of constituents;
- Ability to influence and work collaboratively in a team oriented environment;
- Commitment to professional growth and continuous learning; Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills;
- Creative problem-solver, innovative and results-oriented;
- Highly developed organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple priorities;
- Effective team builder.
As a member of the Academic Leadership team, the PYP Coordinator/Assistant Head, is a full year position with vacation in accordance with the vacation policy.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this leadership position please submit your resume and cover letter indicating your preference for the contract or permanent position to email@example.com by January 18, 2019. This posting will remain active until the positions are filled.
Branksome Hall is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates engaging in all parts of the recruitment and selection process at Branksome Hall.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about Branksome Hall, please visit http://www.branksome.on.ca