|Commencing in late February 2019, there is an opportunity for a full time contract position for a teacher in the Middle School to teach Learning Services and Grade 7 and 8 GOAL Math. Please note this is to cover a maternity leave.
The teacher works closely with the Vice Principal, Academics and is a member of the Hillfield Strathallan College’s Student Success team. The teacher is responsible for providing learning strategies for students in the Middle School.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- · Develop an understanding of the learning profiles and needs of the Middle school students at Hillfield Strathallan College
- · Assist students to develop appropriate learning strategies to ensure their success; provide individual learning support to students, as required
- · Evaluates the progress of students and discusses progress results with students, parents, classroom teachers and school principals as appropriate
- · Support students and their families in understanding learning differences and needs of our learners
- · Assist teachers in implementing differentiated instruction to meet specific learning needs; build capacity within the Middle School with in-class support of our subject-specialist teachers
- · Liaise with Deputy Head of College and the Student Success Team to ensure consistency in policy practice and clarity in the support continuum across the College
- · Participate in weekly grade-level intervention meetings and participate in the weekly Middle School Intervention team
- · Assess effectiveness of learning services by developing and implementing surveys and conducting periodic progress reviews with program participants and implementing changes in response to results
- · Participate in staff meetings, educational conferences and teacher training workshops, may assist in the development of course materials and curriculum content, provide tutoring assistance, and prepare and implement remedial programs for students requiring extra help
- · Integrates new developments, research findings and best practices into ongoing programs and new initiatives
- · Ability to create Individual Student Learning Plans and the ability to analyze psycho educational assessments is required
- · Capacity to address the needs of 21st century learner
- · Other duties as assigned
Requirements for the position includes:
· Vast amounts of empathy
· University degree and additional qualifications in Special Education (Specialist preferred) and/or Math
· Ontario Teacher's Certificate or equivalent (J/I Divisions)
· Minimum 2 years' experience teaching Special Education
· Experience writing and implementing IEPs and formal written student success plans
· Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
· Demonstrate strong skills in partnering with families.
Pursuant to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act, if you require accommodations at any time throughout the application process, please contact Human Resources prior to the closing date so the appropriate arrangements can be made.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted