Program Director, Science and Success
Full-time hours between June 24, 2019 – August 30, 2019
Camps at Appleby College provide coeducational opportunities to develop and advance skills, and to promote interactive skills among participants. Appleby provides excellence within each camp through the use of superb facilities and instruction. In all our programs, we emphasize individual development, participation, co-operation and fun! Appleby’s scenic 60-acre campus offers outstanding academic, art and athletics for all its Camps.
Campers at Appleby experience an exciting week of discovery, friendship, sports and fun! Appleby College offers Discovery Camps, Arts & Media Camps, Science & Success Camps and Sports & Adventure Camps. For a listing of all Science and Success camp programs offered, please visit Appleby College's Science and Success Camp Programs
The Program Director, Science and Success is responsible to manage, operate and oversee the Appleby Summer Camp’s Science and Success Camp Program. Reporting to the Camp Director, this position involves extensive planning, program development & enhancement, facilitating cross-camp activities/themes, camper and parent care and engagement, staff training and risk management.
- Responsibilities would include 14 (approx.) days of pre-summer work of camp planning, organizing and purchasing supplies, recruiting guest artists for cross-camp activities.
- Work closely with the Camp Director to build & enhance the Science and Success program
- Contribute to the strategic planning and development based on research in the community, competitors, enrolment trends and analysis of previous years.
- Visit local daycare centers, schools, library and community centre events and distributing flyers.Assist at local camp fairs. Support camp booths or programs organized for specific events.
- Coordinate collaboration with other camps for weekly shows and activities.
- Assist Camp Director in the recruitment, hiring, and orientation of staff
- Develop and deliver training modules that support the professional development of staff and volunteers.Ensure Appleby’s Mutual Respect policy is communicated
- Plan cross-camp and cross-category activities, tournaments and shows
Summer Camp program (July, August)
- Nurture a positive camp culture by leading, motivating and developing strong teams.
- Create activities that are welcoming for parents to join/observe aspects of camp (for the shy or timid campers).
- Ensure all training modules include an element of follow-up, discussion and analysis to ensure the needs of the staff and campers are met
- Assist in scheduling all staff/volunteers; ensure all employee documentation for employee files are collected. Manage sick leave, absences and staff issues
- Ensure all facilities, equipment and programs are managed in accordance with the practices of Appleby College
- Prepare and deliver staff performance evaluations
- Be first aid response and behavior management response presence for all Science and Success camps.
- Ensure compliance to Appleby’s procedures and protocols.
- Ensure safe drop-off and pick-up for all Science and Success campers. Always present at these points, mingling and getting to know parents, helping and answering questions.
- Acts as a parent liaison to build relationships with camper families and to ensure satisfaction and drive increased customer service
- Ensure that lunches run smoothly and participate in planning and execution of new activities and shows in lunch time periods.
Post Camp Review
- Debrief after Summer is completed
- Suggestions/Ideas for the following summer
- Create Lessons Learned/Best practices documentation
Knowledge and Skills:
- Science and/or engineering or computer science related degree
- Relevant work experience developing and supervising junior/senior camps and teaching experience in camp or educational environments is required
- Strong science subject knowledge & tech savvy with computers, robotics and video game design
- Demonstrate strong organizational capabilities and be able to host/direct science fair, robotics competition and activities in front of large groups.
- Knowledge or be willing to learn Robotics software (NXT, LEGO® ROBOLAB™ )
- Knowledge of Video game design and software options (e.g. Scratch, Kudo, Game-maker) is an asset
- Proven ability to mentor young staff to work effectively with children and youth in a camp setting
- Strong independent work ethic
- Training and work experience building relationships with instructors, campers, camp families and staff
- Standard First Aid Training and CPR- C or higher required (certified on or after September 2017)
- Bronze Cross and/or NLS certification in lifeguarding is an asset
- Successful candidates must attend the required training sessions from May 31, 2019 – June 2, 2019 and June 14, 2019- June 16, 2019
- 14 days of pre-camp prep work to be completed from December 2018 to May 2019
- As a condition of employment, a criminal record check with a vulnerable sector screening is required.
- Valid Driver’s licence is required.
Appleby College Camps and Academies provide the highest quality of instruction to campers in a fast paced and challenging work environment. Compensation is dependent on experience and qualifications.
While all applicants are thanked for their interest, only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Please apply online by January 7, 2019 to:
Human Resources, Appleby College
Web site: www.appleby.on.ca
Appleby is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment where everyone feels valued, respected and supported. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.