Seasonal, Summer Camp Programs
Full-time hours between June 24, 2019 – August 30, 2019
Summer Camps at Appleby College provide coeducational opportunities to develop advanced skills, and promote interactive skills among participants. Each Appleby camp has the use of superb facilities and offers access to excellent instruction. In all programs we emphasize individual development, participation, co-operation and fun!
Appleby College offers Early Discovery Camps, Arts & Media Camps, Science & Success Camps and Sports & Adventure Camps. For a listing of all summer programs offered, please visit www.appleby.on.ca/camps
The Head Lifeguard for the Appleby Camp is responsible for diligently monitoring the activities in the pool areas to prevent accidents and provide a safe environment to campers. The Head Guard is also responsible for providing leadership & training to the lifeguard team as well as assisting in making the weekly program schedule for the pool and lifeguards. The Head Lifeguard is also the camp’s head First Aid Responder.
- Responsible for supervising the pool area, 3 – 5 lifeguards and programs
- Ensure the safety and health of campers and staff while at the pool area
- Follow Appleby’s Camp Lifeguarding procedures to provide a safe environment while exceeding customer service expectations
- Communicate regularly with the swimming staff to ensure awareness of any physical, psychological, emotional and/or medical limitations of campers and/or staff that could affect their safety in the water
- Ensure regular review and practice of the emergency procedures on site by all staff both during pre-camp before the swim program begins and also during the season
- Perform regular assessments and classifications of the swimming ability
- Perform rescues and administer First Aid as needed
- Assist in maintaining daily records and inspections of the pool facilities
- Check the pool areas and all required safety equipment on a daily basis
- Conduct swim breaks and enforce pool/Appleby policies
Knowledge and Skills:
- Minimum 2-year deck supervisory experience
- Lifesaving Society Swim Instructors and Lifesaving Society Lifesaving Instructors qualifications
- Current National Lifeguard Service (NLS) qualifications
- Airway Management certification
- Written incident/accident reports
- Aquatic Supervisory Training (AST) an asset
- Additional aquatic qualifications an asset (Pool Operator, Aquatic Safety inspector, NLS Instructor, Lifesaving instructor, swim instructor, instructor trainer)
- Good performance record
- Support inclusive programming
- Energetic and enthusiastic
- Demonstrate effective problem solving skills
- Preference given to those applicants with previous life-guarding experience within a camp and pool setting
- Successful candidate must attend the required training sessions from May 31, 2019 – June 2, 2019 and June 14, 2019- June 16, 2019
- 14 days of pre-camp prep work to be completed from December 2018 to May 2019
- As a condition of employment, a criminal record check with a vulnerable sector screening is required.
- Valid Driver’s licence is required.
Appleby College Camps and Academies provide the highest quality of instruction to campers in a fast paced and challenging work environment. Compensation is dependent on experience and qualifications.
While all applicants are thanked for their interest, only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Please apply online by January 7, 2019 to:
Human Resources, Appleby College
Web site: www.appleby.on.ca
Appleby is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment where everyone feels valued, respected and supported. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.