Technical Assistant, Camp Programs
Seasonal, Summer Camp Programs
Full-time hours between June 24, 2019 – August 30, 2019
Camps at Appleby College provide coeducational opportunities to develop and advance skills, and to promote interactive skills among participants. Appleby provides excellence within each camp through the use of superb facilities and instruction. In all our programs, we emphasize individual development, participation, co-operation and fun! Appleby’s scenic 60-acre campus offers outstanding academic, art and athletics for all its Camps.
Campers at Appleby experience an exciting week of discovery, friendship, sports and fun! Appleby College offers Leadership Camps, Discovery Camps, Arts & Media Camps, Science & Success Camps and Sports & Adventure Camps.
The Technical Assistant is responsible for assisting with the Appleby Summer Camp programs. Reporting to the Assistant Camp Director, this position involves helping out with all camps utilizing laptops and MAC labs, setting up activities/equipment, assisting with instructing if needed, and sign-out laptops.
· Assist Instructors with troubleshooting any computer issues.
· Assist with proper inventory count for sign-out laptops and all A/V equipment.
· Be prepared to float between camps, and instruct any science camp, with limited notice if an instructor is absent
· Assist Head Instructors in activities within each camp category, ensuring children are engaged throughout their camp experience
· Ensure compliance to Appleby’s camp procedures and protocols
· Assist with co-hosting cross-camp games and activities
· Aid in safe drop-off and pick-up for all campers, with an active presence at these points, getting to know parents, helping and answering questions
· Participate in ensuring that lunches run smoothly and assist with clean up and camper traffic flow in the dining hall
· Follow Appleby’s Camp Lifeguarding procedures while in pool area, perform assessments of Campers’ swimming ability by using a swim test under the direction of the Head Lifeguard
Knowledge and Skills:
· Applicants for this position should have completed minimum 2nd year in a post-secondary education
· Computer science or IT related degree
· Relevant work experience developing and supervising junior/senior camps and teaching experience in camp or educational environments is required
· Strong science subject knowledge & tech savvy with computers, robotics and video game design
· Demonstrate strong organizational capabilities and be able to host/direct science fair, robotics competition and activities in front of large groups.
· Knowledge or be willing to learn Robotics software (NXT, LEGO® ROBOLAB™ )
· Knowledge of Video game design and software options (e.g. Scratch, Kudo, Game-maker) is an asset
· Proven ability to mentor young staff to work effectively with children and youth in a camp setting
· Strong independent work ethic
· Training and work experience building relationships with instructors, campers, camp families and staff
· Current Standard First Aid Training and CPR- C or higher required.
· Bronze Cross and/or NLS certification in lifeguarding is an asset
· Successful candidates must attend the required training sessions from May 31, 2019 – June 2, 2019
· 5-8 days of pre-camp prep work to be completed from December, 2017 to May, 2018
· As a condition of employment, a criminal record check with a vulnerable sector screening is required.
· Valid driver’s license required.
Appleby College Camps and Academies provide the highest quality of instruction to campers in a fast paced and challenging work environment. Compensation is dependent on experience and qualifications.
While all applicants are thanked for their interest, only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Please apply online by January 7, 2019 to:
Human Resources, Appleby College
Web site: www.appleby.on.ca
Appleby is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment where everyone feels valued, respected and supported. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.