Associate Director, Development
The York School is a not-for-profit co-educational, independent day school, located in the heart of Toronto, renowned for its challenging academic International Baccalaureate (IB) programme and commitment to experiential learning.
What sets us apart from other schools is that our tradition is innovation. We welcome applicants who are like us – dynamic and innovative, collaborative, progressive and globally-minded. The York School offers an inclusive culture and values creativity, individuality and new ideas. The York School is looking to hire a newly created position of Associate Director, Development.
The Associate Director, Development is responsible for the creation and implementation of donor programs and strategies to strengthen the Annual Giving Programme and support the development of a robust Major Gifts Programme as well as management responsibilities for the Advancement Team and it’s operations. Responsibilities include building relationships with parents, alumni, staff and faculty members, volunteers and community partners to enhance the School’s culture of philanthropy. As the primary lead within the Advancement Team, the Associate Director, Development must meet the school’s annual fundraising objectives and grow and deepen the culture of philanthropy within the school community. The Associate Director, Development works closely with the Enrolment Management Team, as well as the Marketing and Communications team to advance the mission of The York School.
- Create and implement plans and strategies for annual campaign
- Establish and lead a donor stewardship programme for Annual donors including, but not limited to, donor recognition initiatives and events, reporting and thank you letters
- In collaboration with Communications, develop all Annual Fund materials including annual appeals, brochures and Donor Impact Reports
- Under the direction of the Director of Admission & Advancement, and in collaboration with Communications, manage and coordinate all aspects of the school’s Annual Report as it relates to the Annual Fund
- Work with the Manager of Marketing and Communications to develop, distribute and maintain Annual Fund communication materials and provide content for the website, school community portal and directories as required
- Develop and implement strategy for Alumni Giving within the overall Annual Giving Program and work with Advancement Coordinator to align strategy with Alumni Relations activities
- Plan, execute and manage all aspects of The York School’s Annual Fund, including identifying and executing on opportunities for growth in participation and Annual Fund leadership giving
- Participates in the identification, recruitment, training, management and stewardship of volunteer teams
- Build relationships with parents, alumni, staff and faculty members, volunteers and community partners to enhance the School’s culture of philanthropy
Management and Operations
- Supervises Advancement Database Analyst and Advancement Coordinator
- Oversee and manage daily activities of the Advancement Assistant in relation to all aspects of data pulls, reporting on results, gift processing, finance reconciliation as well as pledge reminders and tracking activity in the school’s fundraising database, Raiser’s Edge
- Responsible for moves management across all Advancement portfolios and maintaining best practice procedures
- Oversee and direct the strategic development of cultivation and solicitation plans and gift proposals for specific projects, including written proposals, oral presentations and volunteer management.
- Oversees development of stewardship plans, including the appropriate publicity and recognition of gifts, impact reporting, and long-term engagement of donors.
- Ensures all policies and procedures for Advancement processes, including gift processing, are up to date and adhered to, in accordance with school policy and CRA regulations
- Manages, plans, develops, implements and evaluates fundraising strategies for a significant pool of assigned major gift prospects; consisting of individuals, alumni, corporations, foundations; may be responsible for prospects in a geographic area.
- Participates in prospect identification, review, research, management, clearance and coordination
- Ensure that the most appropriate volunteers and faculty-staff are well briefed and involved in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of the donors
- Proficiency in use of technology, specifically fundraising software (Raisers Edge) to ensure detailed notes are recorded for prospect tracking and clearance systems
- Develops and maintains a good working knowledge of the The York School’s activities and priority projects
- Develops annual goals and strategic plans for Advancement Team, in consultation with Director
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
- University degree and/or similar designation in philanthropy (CFRE an Asset)
- Minimum of 5-7 years proven experience in a broad range of fundraising and advancement responsibilities at the mid-to-senior level
- Demonstrated success in meeting and exceeding fundraising goals
- Exceptional computer skills – proficiency in Raiser’s Edge, a Google environment
- Strategic and creative approach in planning short-term and long-term programmes
- Astute analytical, financial and problem solving skills
- Proven ability to recruit, retain and motivate volunteers
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to interact with all members of the school community, including parents, faculty and staff and students cheerfully, enthusiastically, courteously, patiently and with discretion and tact
- Ability to work independently and on various tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- A proactive team player who is flexible and self-motivated
- Previous Independent School experience considered an asset.
Join Our Community
Employees at The York School are inquiring, knowledgeable, caring and engaged citizens of the world. Leaders in their field, they are collaborative, open to change and committed to improving lives through education. We are committed to professional development, and provide a competitive compensation and benefit package to our employees.
Accessibility & Equal Opportunity at The York School
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Upon request, we will accommodate individual needs for applicants with disabilities within our recruitment process.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by submitting an application on the careers page of The York School website at www.yorkschool.com
by January 7, 2019.
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.