Havergal College is a pre-eminent Canadian independent school for girls from JK to 12. We are seeking a creative, enthusiastic, and dedicated individual to join our staff as the Assistant Controller. This is a full-time position.
The Assistant Controller leads the accounting team and oversees the manages the school’s day to day retail gift shop operations. The Assistant Controller effectively uses technology to deliver key responsibilities. These include financial accounting and reporting, budgeting and forecasting, tax receipts for parents, cash flow, short-term investments, capital assets, leases, payroll, procurement, accounts payable and accounts receivable for Havergal College. The Assistant Controller is also responsible for Havergal College Foundation donation receiving, Pension accounting, and the preparation of analytical reports. The Assistant Controller identifies and implements efficient processes, strong internal controls and ensures adherence to policies and regulations. The Assistant Controller supports the Director of Finance for matters relating to the Pension Sub-Committee and other activities as required.
Key responsibilities for the position include:
• Hires, trains, evaluate and manages accounting, payroll, donor services and retail staff.
• Oversees monthly and year-end financial reporting and all aspects of the accounting system including year-end audit and other processes.
• Prepares annual financial statements for the College and Pension Plan, and works with auditors to ensure a smooth audit in a timely manner. Prepares annual T3010 for the College.
• Supports the Director of Finance in preparation of materials for Board and Board committee meetings.
• Strong continuous process improvement focus and alignment of staff of business office goals and objectives to the schools objectives including strategic plan.
• Manages capital spending process working with business to help ensure planned spend matches actual spend.
• Ensures accurate and timely administration of payroll and benefits.
• Manages donor receipting process, donation reporting for tax and annual publications, compliance with tax receipting rules.
• Coordinates yearly foundation reporting of fund allocations to college expenses in accordance with fund restrictions. Ensures organizational compliance with procurement, signing and authorization, and travel and entertainment policies
• Ensures organizational compliance with government reporting for payroll and other statutory reporting, including Pension, and HST returns for the college and foundation; reviews invoices and other requests for payment for proper approval, budget account assignment.
• Accounting designation – CGA, CMA or CA
• Knowledge of not-for-profit accounting and reporting
• Progressive Accounting experience (5 years minimum)
• Hands on ability required – due to size of organization
• Strong customer service focus (parents, staff, students)
• Strong people management skills (3 years minimum)
• Experience with implementation of internal control and process improvements
• Payroll experience required. Pension experience an asset.
• Strong Microsoft suite experience (especially Excel – mid level to advanced skills)
• Strong technology/systems experience
• Ability to handle multiple priorities and tight timelines
• Small to medium sized business experience preferred
• Excellent supervisory, interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
Employment and Application Details
Havergal College offers an excellent working environment and a competitive compensation and benefits package. Qualified and interested candidates should submit a letter of application and resume by November 22, 2017 to: Human Resources, Havergal College, 1451 Avenue Road, Toronto, Ontario, M5N 2H9 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Assistant Controller” in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Havergal College is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodations please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6605 or by email at email@example.com.