Founded in 1867, The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) is Canada’s oldest day and boarding school for girls, offering rigorous academic programs and a full co-curricular program to challenge and inspire every student. With an expert faculty, skilled staff, state-of-the-art resources including a spectacular new arts and science wing, and a dynamic and supportive environment, BSS is a leading school for girls in Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12, and an exceptional workplace for those committed to excellence, innovation and continuous learning. We are seeking exemplary candidates to fill the position of:
Reports to: Assistant Head Innovation Development and Technology
Summary of Position:
The Theatre Manager is responsible for the technical support for all lighting and audio needs of a dynamic performing arts program as well as a myriad of school-related events and rentals held in the theatres, gyms and other school spaces. The Theatre Manager is also is responsible for the supervision, training and scheduling of students and volunteers operating the equipment and the development and implementation of training programs specific to the operation of the equipment.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Overseas the technical aspect of all lighting and audio visual systems in the school
- Operates the audio and lighting system of the theatres and other public spaces
- Supports rentals’ technical requirements
- Maintains all audio visual equipment
- Handles the budgeting process for all AV equipment
- Recruits and trains volunteers/students
- Supports front and back of the house activity
- Other related responsibilities as required.
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- University or college degree, or equivalent experience, specializing in technical theatre training
- Minimum two years related experience in an audio visual environment (theatre/consulting group) operating and overseeing the audio visual requirements
- Knowledge of complex lighting and audio systems, production administration and stage management
- Experience working in theatre production – both main stage and back of the house experience is desirable
- Experience working with and training adults and students
- Familiarity with the following technologies
- ETC Lighting control Systems including Element and ION consoles
- Conventional dimmers, LED and motorized Luminaires from various manufacturers (ETC, Elation, ADJ)
- QSC DSP Audio/Video equipment, Yamaha Digital Mixing consoles, Dante Audio transport, Audio Routing and level control, Shure Wireless Microphones, Panasonic Projectors, Digital Video Transport (HDBaseT).
- Basic TCP/IP Networking
- Ability to work with and manage the needs of a diverse group of users
- Excellent project development, research, technological, time management, and organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as group facilitation skills
- Flexibility, energy and a positive attitude together with the ability to remain calm
- Understanding of all health and safety-related requirements
- Ability to work at various times of the day and of the week
- Passion for theatre, performance and production and for instilling that love in the students and integrating across disciplines
- Ability to manage changing priorities, concurrent projects and demanding deadlines with humour, flexibility and a sense of outward calm
- Commitment to and passion for the vision, mission and values of the school.
Full-time, salaried position with flexible hours.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Theatre Manager in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca