Learning Support Specialist
LTO - December 2017 - June 2018
Montcrest School is a progressive, co-educational JK - Grade 8 school, founded in 1961, and located at Broadview and Danforth in Toronto. We are a small school community with a rich history, and are in the midst of dynamic changes, fulfilling our visionary strategic plan.
Throughout our school you will see a commitment to student-centred learning, differentiated instruction, and the honouring of each child. We offer an exceptional academic experience with balanced opportunities in leadership, the arts, and athletics. Visitors to our school immediately feel the enthusiasm our faculty and staff have for creating a nurturing learning environment for the wide range of learners that make up our student population. We are undergoing an exciting new campus renovation, and with Riverdale Park at our side, our indoor and outdoor teaching and learning spaces are uniquely nestled in the heart of Toronto.
We are seeking a Learning Support Specialist focusing on literacy, to work full-time on our team of Learning Support Specialists from January to June, with orientation in December. We will also be posting for a permanent position beginning in the fall of 2018.
The ideal candidate will have most if not all of these qualifications:
- demonstrated teaching experience working one-on-one and in small groups with students, creating and modifying teaching plans regularly to meet the students’ pace and development
- demonstrated experience working with multiple diagnostic tools to determine the evolving needs of each student
- demonstrated experience with early intervention and remediation of primary and junior age students using a variety of materials / approaches / programs
- Empower Decoding training and teaching experience, or the willingness to become a certified Empower teacher
- demonstrated experience writing IEPs collaboratively with colleagues and parents
- demonstrated ability to build positive and productive relationships with students, parents and colleagues
- excellent communication skills, including the demonstrated ability to discuss student learning challenges with parents clearly, and with honesty and compassion
- demonstrated ability to effectively teach and apply classroom management skills to a wide range of primary/junior aged students
- Bachelor of Education or Master of Teaching with OCT in good standing
- Special Education Specialist AQ
If you have a growth mindset, are passionate about learning for you and for your students, enjoy collaborating with colleagues, and meet many of our qualifications, we would welcome your application. Please send your résumé and cover letter to HR@montcrest.on.ca.
We will begin contacting applicants of interest immediately. Montcrest School is an equal opportunity employer, and we are striving to foster a diverse, inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. We welcome applications from all interested individuals, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.