The Bishop Strachan School is hosting a Structured Word Inquiry Workshop led by Dr. Peter Bowers, with special guest speaker Marie Foley, Toronto-based SWI instructor. View the event poster.
- Sunday, September 22, 2019 Full-Day Workshop
- Monday, September 23, 2019 Optional Classroom Lessons and Debriefings
Join us in deepening our understanding of how the writing system works by exploring the interrelationships between morphology, etymology and phonology. This workshop will help us understand the many ways in which we can use SWI to support students as readers, spellers and critical thinkers. Together we will explore key orthographic concepts as well as classroom practices and tools designed to engage learners and reveal the cohesive and ordered nature of English spelling.
Online registration is now open and can be accessed here:
SWI WORKSHOP REGISTRATION
We look forward to seeing you soon,
Aida Fahoum and Brianne Fennema
Videos & resources of SWI across the grades:
- Click HERE for an interview with Dr. Bowers on SWI
- Click HERE for a 2-page document describing SWI with links to videos, resources, and research
- Pete teaches the spelling of words like does, done and gone in a Gr. 1 classroom lesson HERE
- Pete introduces the matrix and word sum to a Kindergarten class HERE
- See an investigation of the word during a middle school social justice lesson HERE