Facilitated by Future Design School
For JK - 12 Teachers
Monday, June 24 & Tuesday, June 25, 2019
Day 1 - 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Day 2 - 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
* Lunch provided on Day 1
658 Broadview Avenue
Toronto ON M4K 2P1
View on Google Maps
How might we plan engaging project-based learning and inquiry for 2019-20?
The CIS Ontario Future Skills Institute will be held on June 24-25, 2019 at Montcrest School. The Institute is an action-oriented professional development program for educators who want to drive innovation in their school.
Educators will learn to harness design-thinking methods to build creative, project-based learning and inquiry in their classrooms. The program focuses on developing a culture of creative problem solving and how to approach curriculum competencies from a student-centered perspective.
- Understand the tenets of design thinking, entrepreneurship, global mindfulness and innovation and learn methods for building these skills/mindsets in students.
- Learn and apply actionable methods for ideation & collaboration and experiment with using these methods with students
- On Day 1, participants will design a student-directed, project-based learning experience that develops critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, and communication in students
- On Day 2, participants will create an assessment plan and tool to accompany the learning experience designed on Day 1.
1.5 Days of Learning
The Institute runs from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. on Monday, June 24, and 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 25, 2019. On Day 1, you will learn about design thinking and create a project-based student learning experience. Day 2 is all about assessment, and you'll walk away with a tool for assessing student learning.
This Program Is For You If:
- You are an educator with a passion for creating engaging, meaningful learning experiences
- You want to learn how to use design thinking to empower student innovation
- You want to learn how to connect innovation to your subject area
Immediately Actionable PD:
All participants walk away with repeatable methods and tools that they can use in the classroom with students, as well as a plan of action to implement their learning right away. You will learn by doing, and do the work of planning as part of the session!
Building a Case to Attend:
Why should your school administration support you to attend the Future Skills Institute? Click HERE to download a sample case for support. Click HERE to read a blog post about last year's Future Skills Institute.
Send a Team:
We recommend that schools send pairs or teams of teachers as the Institute is an excellent opportunity for teachers to collaborate and create a unit of study together.
Registration Fees per participant:
1-4 teachers purchased together $525
5-8 teachers purchased together $500
* Lunch provided on Day 1