At Trafalgar Castle School, our goal is to lay the foundation for your daughter’s future, and give her the tools to carve out her own destiny. We offer an unparalleled curriculum delivered in an atmosphere of support from her teachers and peers alike. Our castle is a place like no other – one that cultivates skills, ignites curiosity and brings your daughter into her own, whether she is an artist, an athlete, an intellectual, or a little of each. Capable and confident, our graduates are exceptional young women who know without question - their possibilities are endless.
Located just east of Toronto in Whitby, Ontario, Trafalgar Castle School provides a rich learning environment for academic and personal growth and development of young women. With a current enrolment of over 200 day and boarding students from Grades 5 to 12, our community offers a vibrant and diverse atmosphere.
Our school is a community – small, close-knit, supportive and spirited. Our teachers go above and beyond, wear many hats, and get to know every girl by name. They participate in a school-wide camp adventure every fall, don silly outfits on Spirit Days, and engage students in meaningful and authentic learning, both in and outside the classroom. Together, we work hard, support each other, and aren’t afraid to ask ourselves how we can do better. We may be small, but we’re definitely mighty!
We are currently seeking to fill the role of:
Boarding Life Don
This role is for the remainder of the 2017/18 school year.
Boarding Life Dons are key members of the Boarding Life Team who are responsible for the academic and social/emotional well-being of our boarding students. Dons are required to live on site and have day, evening and weekend supervision responsibilities on a rotational basis.
Duties include: Coaching or leading one co-curricular activity in the day school, opportunities for supply teaching, the possibility of teaching one Ontario Ministry of Education secondary course in the day school and implementing the Boarding Life Program, which includes: Residence activities, mentoring and tutoring, health and wellness care, attendance, supervision, progressive discipline and regular timely communication with parents/guardians.
Qualified educators certified to teach intermediate/senior level Math, Science, English, Canadian Studies and/or Arts are encouraged to apply.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Organize, lead and/or supervise co-curricular activities during the day and evenings
- Organize, lead and/or supervise weekend activities and overnight excursions
- Implement our Boarding Life Program
- Support the social/emotional and physical health of our students
- Mentor and care for the students in their ‘family’
- Attend and participate in weekly meetings, meals and activities
- Support the teaching and learning program through structured study groups
- Teach/support learning skills development through structured study groups
- Monitor and follow up with attendance
- Perform and follow up with room checks
- Ensure security of the building and residence
- Implement appropriate progressive discipline and restorative action, in partnership with Boarding Life Team, Director of Boarding Life and Vice-Principal, School Life
- Communicate regularly with students and their parents/guardians
- General administrative tasks
- Emergency on-call support if required
TEACHING & LEARNING
- Provides class coverage when teachers are absent
- Has an understanding of education in an all-girl environment
- Has a strong understanding of authentic assessment and evaluation
- Strengths in strategic differentiated learning strategies; Special Education qualifications are an asset
- Demonstrates successful infusion of technology in the teaching and learning program
- Observes Trafalgar Castle School policies, procedures, practices and current legislation, in particular, the Human Rights Code
- Complies with all Health and Safety policies and procedures to ensure every reasonable precaution is taken
- Works cooperatively and constructively with other members of the staff
- Ensures the confidentiality of student, employee and Trafalgar Castle School information at all times
- Undertakes other related and/or delegated duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- An understanding of adolescent girls’ learning and health and wellness needs
- An empathetic approach and patient demeanor
- A positive, enthusiastic approach to learning and engagement in all aspects of school life
- Demonstrated organization, time management and analytical skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of the Boarding Life Team and School Faculty and Staff
- Strengths in coaching athletics
- Familiarity with Mac, Windows, and iPad computing, the Google Apps for Education suite, and Learning Management Systems
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Successful completion of a university degree; B.Ed. required
- First Aid/CPR qualification is an asset
- Lifeguard (NLS) qualification is an asset
- Previous experience working with adolescents and/or living/working in a residence environment is an asset
- Experience in the non-profit sector is an asset
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to:
Peggy Watt, Human Resources Manager
Trafalgar Castle School
401 Reynolds Street, Whitby, ON L1N 3W9
Trafalgar Castle School thanks all interested candidates, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Trafalgar Castle School is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any stage during the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources so that we may work with you to meet your needs. As a condition of employment, successful candidates will be required to submit a current original Vulnerable Sector Screening from the police jurisdiction in which they reside prior to commencing employment.
For further information, please visit us online at: www.trafalgarcastle.ca.