Havergal College is a pre-eminent Canadian independent school for girls from JK to 12. We are seeking an innovative, enthusiastic, and dedicated individual to join our faculty as a Grade 7 to 12 English Teacher. This is a contract position, Mat-Leave (Part-time .80 FTE, March – June 2018).
The English and Drama Department at Havergal College is distinguished by exceptional teachers who provide a differentiated approach to English instruction. Through this program, students develop strong literacy, critical thinking and problem-solving skills. The teaching facilities are well equipped and offer bright and technology rich environments.
As an experienced English teacher at Havergal College, you will be confident in curriculum development and demonstrate an approach to teaching that is reflective of the way in which girls learn. You will optimize the use of the technology available to you. You will support all learners with diverse strategies and approaches and be willing to bring innovative solutions to learning challenges experienced by students. Your classes will be engaging and dynamic; you will enjoy what you do. Students will find you to be approachable, available, knowledgeable, genuine and supportive. A member of the English and Drama Department, you will engage in the work of the department in a collegial and supportive manner. You will demonstrate an understanding of the importance of parents as partners in their daughter’s education by maintaining open and collaborative relationships with the parent community. As a life-long learner, you will demonstrate a commitment to actively seeking professional development. You will participate actively in the life of the school.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
In order to be considered for this position, candidates will possess the following qualifications, knowledge, and experience:
- Relevant university qualifications preferably at the graduate level (e.g. Bachelor of Education plus Bachelor of Art in English or equivalent);
- Additional qualifications an asset;
- Certification from the Ontario College of Teachers and be a member in ‘Good Standing’;
- A minimum of 2 years exemplary teaching experience;
- Experience in an independent school setting is an asset;
- A comprehensive understanding of current educational practices in the areas of curriculum planning and implementation of the most recent Ontario Secondary School English curriculum and assessment practices in line with Growing Success;
- Knowledge of differing learning needs and a toolbox of strategies for facilitating student success in English;
- Knowledge of the current research on girls and learning;
- An ability to work in a collaborative environment;
- Strong inter-personal, organizational, time-management and communication skills;
- A commitment toward continued professional development and growth; and
- Energy, commitment and a readiness to participate in the co-curricular program the diverse life of the school community.
Employment and Application Details
Our faculty and staff are the competitive advantage at Havergal College. We offer competitive compensation, including participation in the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, where applicable, and generous support for professional, educational and leadership development.
To apply, go to http://tinyurl.com/HC-Teaching-Positions by November 24, 2017
We thank all candidates in advance. We will however, contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls please.
For more information, please visit www.havergal.on.ca.
Havergal College is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodations please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6605 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.