Internationally acclaimed for its unique environment and expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) has built a reputation over its long history as an undisputed leader in education. Offering a challenging, lively and creative atmosphere, a roster of uniquely qualified faculty and staff, and an inspiring campus featuring a spectacular science and arts wing, BSS inspires each student to find her passion, pursue her dreams and reach her potential through a rigorous academic program. Helping students become smart, independent, compassionate young women, BSS provides the tools, technology and innovation required to thrive in post-secondary pursuits and beyond. Our unique whole girl approach, commitment to excellence and embodiment of strong values create a profound and powerful learning environment within a supportive, engaged community.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidate to fill the position of:
Science Lab Technician and Teaching Assistant
Reports to: Head of Science Department
Summary of Position:
The Science Lab Technician and Teaching Assistant works with the Science Department Team to support our inquiry-based teaching and learning in our nine new state-of-the-art Idea Labs. General responsibilities include preparing labs, overseeing and managing all the chemical and biological inventory as well as the hardware inventory, assisting in the classrooms and ensuring the labs are operated in a manner consistent with all health and safety legislative requirements and school policies.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Researches, prepares, sets-up and dissembles practical lab activities/inquiries for biology, chemistry and physics classes, including Advanced Placement classes
- Sets-up and assists teachers with demonstrations during class time
- Maintains and tracks a live inventory of chemicals in accordance with WHMIS safety guidelines, ensuring their proper labelling, storage and disposal
- Prepares and maintains stock solutions for chemistry and biology labs
- Maintains lab equipment, routinely checks, troubleshoots, repairs and arranges for service as required
- Delivers appropriate equipment to each lab
- Assists subject teachers with make-up labs to accommodate student absences
- Orders and purchases supplies and consumables for biology, chemistry and physics as approved by the Science Department Head and maintains all record-keeping while adhering to budget
- Researches the latest educational and scientific software, techniques and lab activities to ensure alignment with the Culture of Powerful Learning and the Signature of a BSS Girl.
- Maintains currency in microbiology, molecular genetics, and biochemistry and all health and safety-related legislation
- Assists all staff in the Science Department on an ongoing basis
- Other related responsibilities as required.
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Knowledge of advanced chemistry and biology, including demonstrated experience planning, preparing, and running educational lab activities, degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry preferred
- Demonstrated experience interpreting and applying chemical and biological safety regulations and policies in an educational setting, including knowledge of personal protective equipment, and proper use of remedial safety eye wash stations and showers and the management of chemical and biological waste
- Ability to work with and manage the needs of a diverse group of science teachers
- Excellent project development, research, technological, time management, and organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as group facilitation skills
- Ability to manage a myriad of details while having an eye on the big picture
- Currency in all related Health and Safety requirements for the procurement, storage, use and disposal of chemicals and waste in order to maintain a safe and secure laboratory environment
- A learner who is passionate about STEM, STEAM, girls learning and models a curiosity about the world
- Flexibility, energy and a positive attitude together with the ability to remain calm
- A sense of perspective and humour.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to email@example.com indicating Science Lab Technician and Teaching Assistant position in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school
and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca